Are we becoming desensitized to violence.

algy

With each day that passes we are becoming subjected visually through the media to brutal killings, suicide bombings, mass murders, child slaying and abuse and natural disasters, so much so that I for one am finding that after the initial surprise or shock I am quickly accepting them as everyday occurrence and as the latest Boston bombing and fertilizer factory explosion, follow them with a mild curiousness. After self analysis of my thought process I have come to the conclusion that I have become desensitized to the violence that surrounds us in these violent times. It also appears to have the same affect on this forum as after the initial introduction of a tragic topic we seem to make light and jest about the most tragic events. Is it just me or are others affected the same way.

With each day that passes we are becoming subjected visually through the media to brutal killings, suicide bombings, mass murders, child slaying and abuse and natural disasters, so much so that I for one am finding that after the initial surprise or shock I am quickly accepting them as everyday occurrence and as the latest Boston bombing and fertilizer factory explosion, follow them with a mild curiousness. After self analysis of my thought process I have come to the conclusion that I have become desensitized to the violence that surrounds us in these violent times. It also appears to have the same affect on this forum as after the initial introduction of a tragic topic we seem to make light and jest about the most tragic events. Is it just me or are others affected the same way.

The human race has always been barbaric - it just gets reported more widely now and may be as a species we have evolved to become desensitised - some of us more than others.

It also appears to have the same affect on this forum as after the initial introduction of a tragic topic we seem to make light and jest about the most tragic events.

Of course people become desensitized to things the more they're exposed to them and I agree with Peter about the violent PC games, but in occupations like the Police, Fire, Armed Forces and Paramedics it's just as well that they do become desensitized or they wouldn't be able to do their jobs. After reading through recent tragedies on this forum though I can't find evidence of people jesting about events. :unsure:

Of course people become desensitized to things the more they're exposed to them and I agree with Peter about the violent PC games, but in occupations like the Police, Fire, Armed Forces and Paramedics it's just as well that they do become desensitized or they wouldn't be able to do their jobs. After reading through recent tragedies on this forum though I can't find evidence of people jesting about events. :unsure:

Maybe it's just that wolves have short memories. :wink:

Yes. Kids get fed on violence in the PC games they play as well as the media, plus in some areas, poor parenting.

I suppose you oldies weren't at all desensitized by over 50 million people being killed during WW2. :wink:

Ah about the age that kids nowadays start playing computer games and watching the TV etc.

yes!, but we weren't fully exposed to the horrors of war unlike the children of today who are playing computer games that involve them realistically killing opposing combatents.

yes!, but we weren't fully exposed to the horrors of war unlike the children of today who are playing computer games that involve them realistically killing opposing combatents.

So you never played "War" when you were a kid?  I did as did most other boys my age.  We had sticks for guns, stones for grenades and even used the old airbase buildings around Bewsey Old Hall as bases.  

So you never played "War" when you were a kid?  I did as did most other boys my age.  We had sticks for guns, stones for grenades and even used the old airbase buildings around Bewsey Old Hall as bases.  

We certainly did, but no comparison as to what these kids are being mentally subjected to!.

thats true, we pretended to kill and maim our friends whereas kids nowadays take it out on some pixels on a screen.

Absolutely, but generally we were all friends at the end of the game whereas the kids playing these virtual killing games don't seem to have the friends on the street that we had. I suppose it's called progress, God Help us!.

Absolutely, but generally we were all friends at the end of the game whereas the kids playing these virtual killing games don't seem to have the friends on the street that we had. I suppose it's called progress, God Help us!.

progress or rose tinted glasses?  Speaking as a Father my girls have friends that they play with just like I did.   

progress or rose tinted glasses?  Speaking as a Father my girls have friends that they play with just like I did.   

I doubt they have the same freedom of the streets and the general area that we lived in, that we had, you could leave your home and wander at will without your parents worrying where you were, but Hey! I'm only speaking from my experience perhaps you know better PJ?.

I doubt they have the same freedom of the streets and the general area that we lived in, that we had, you could leave your home and wander at will without your parents worrying where you were, but Hey! I'm only speaking from my experience perhaps you know better PJ?.

Perhaps.

I was watching the aftermath of the Boston bombings on the news and it occurred to me that it could as well have been a Die Hard movie on the box- the vehicles looked the same, the reporters sounded the same- it made me feel de-sensitised to the whole thing. I was waiting for Bruce Willis to show up and sort it out.Very sad really

Perhaps.

PJ, I have been pondering what the caption "PMSL" stands for on your Muttley avatar and recognising your superior level of your interlect I can't believe it is the common internet interpretation and the only alternative I have come across is "Pre Menstrual Stress Level". :wink:

PJ, I have been pondering what the caption "PMSL" stands for on your Muttley avatar and recognising your superior level of your interlect I can't believe it is the common internet interpretation and the only alternative I have come across is "Pre Menstrual Stress Level". :wink:

please make sense love.

At risk of sounding "insensitive" I think that the Boston bombing, terrible though it was, has been blown up out of all proportion by media hype given that we are talking about the USA where 3 murders in an average city would seem like a quiet day. We do ourselves no favours by making a song and dance about events like this as it is exactly the result that terrorists want. Terror and a loss of freedom for innocent people.

Actually Alg, I'm not sure desensitized is the correct; years ago folk tended to be more stoical and kept their feeling private; now you get public wailing and hugs, toys and teddy bears and a shrine of flowers - did we get this off the Yanks?

Aye, it's an american import but I must say I sometimes wonder if the emotions being shown by the media are genuine or if some people, knowing there will be media coverage, see it as a chance to get their mugs in the papers or on tv. I really doubt that a lot of people leaving their floral tribute, toys, at the site of a tragedy ever met or even knew those that died. A last note, I do wish that those people who feel the need to lay a floral tribute would first remove the wrapping paper so the flowers would be visible and the site doesnt end up looking like a messy mass of paper. Just as when Diana died. Metre upon metre of tributes were not displayed to their fullest extent because of the wrappings. When her brother, the Earl Spencer, removed all the wrapping from the tributes before laying them at her grave the flowers were displayed to their fullest and looked a really beautiful tribute to a really beautiful woman.