The survey says......

Nick Tessla

Stating the obvious again Obs. I don't understand your objection to the profit motive. It's what drives business and, ultimately, drives up standards and also the living conditions of the workers. After all if the business owner isn't making a profit he isn't going to re-invest is he?

Cheap wages and conditions by western standards but you tend to ignore the fact that the cost of living is much lower than in western countries. I mean you get the same goods that you can get in the west for at least a fifth you are paying for them in the west. Electrical goods, cheaper, furniture, cheaper, food cheaper, cigarettes - well you just wouldn't believe how much cheaper they are, electric cheaper, gas cheaper, petrol cheaper.

life....cheaper

Stating the obvious again Obs. I don't understand your objection to the profit motive. It's what drives business and, ultimately, drives up standards and also the living conditions of the workers. After all if the business owner isn't making a profit he isn't going to re-invest is he?

I agree Asp

But the trouble with UK business is over the last 40 or 50 years, bosses have not been re investing, it's more a case of take the money and run, hence we are uncompetitive .

There was an interesting article on the news last month about GEC in America & it said that a factory that had been mothballed  was reopening to make light bulbs because it had been relocated to China where it was now costing more to produce than it would in the US. 

Maybe any new necessary investment in India will make it dearer than Britain to produce goods which could even moves some jobs back over here.

I agree Asp But the trouble with UK business is over the last 40 or 50 years, bosses have not been re investing, it's more a case of take the money and run, hence we are uncompetitive .

we are uncompetitive because our workers get paid a minimum of £7.00 or so an hour whereas in China they get paid £7.00 a week if they are lucky. Fuel is cheaper; in fact everything is cheaper so don't just try and blame the bosses.... if I had a manufacturing plant in the UK paying massive rates, massive fuel bills and huge wages, why would I not ship the whole operation out to the far East and let them do it for a fraction of the cost?

we are uncompetitive because our workers get paid a minimum of £7.00 or so an hour whereas in China they get paid £7.00 a week if they are lucky. Fuel is cheaper; in fact everything is cheaper so don't just try and blame the bosses.... if I had a manufacturing plant in the UK paying massive rates, massive fuel bills and huge wages, why would I not ship the whole operation out to the far East and let them do it for a fraction of the cost?

Life is cheaper. :wink:

• Upvote 1

Asp: it's the difference between what's reasonable and what's just plain greed.

And what decides what is reasonable and what is greed? Competition. If your competitor makes the same thing and sells it cheaper by taking a smaller profit then you have to take a smaller profit or lose business. And don't say "pay the workers less" because the workers will leave you and go and work in your competitor's business which is now expanding because you (the opposition) are being forced out by cut price competition unless you match their costs and wages. That is the way business works Obs.

Clutching at straws again Obs? You can't deny that the standard of living in third world countries is rising at an unprecedented rate and this is due at least in part to the increased industrialisation brought about by demand from developed countries. We aren't the colonial masters any more and it is the place of these developing countries to make their own way in the world without patronising demands from us about how they do it.