Graven Images

Here we go again and I'm so glad I spent hours eventually managing to get online and stay online on a 10 year old pc (temporarily) NOT !! Yes it probably has shown me as being online for a few days but I wasn't other than for a few minutes here and there and I didn't log out so was 'virtually' here. I think I like my virtual world better as it's a happier and more pleasant place to be.

..... That 'video' was discussed ages ago on here and at depth (and the same can be said across many topics) so what's the point in bringing the damn thing up again !?!

Maybe it would be better if a complete block was put on anything to do with religion as it always results in the same old crap and same 'discussions' (for want of a better word) and can only be described as becoming somewhat boring and very predictable in its way forward from here on based on past experience and reading IMHO

No offence meant of course :roll::)

I couldn't agree more with you. some people take a delight in referring to islam because they know I'm going to let them have it back. I will not sit back and let some idiot denegrate my religion and say nothing so if you banned anything to do with muslims and islam would be fine with me.

The video was mentioned again because one idiot was insisting that the portrayal of Muhammad was prohibited in any form and muslims took exception to it. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Diz, instead of joining in with this stupid bloody thread you should have locked it. On plenty of other forums it wouldn't have got to page two on the basis it was started simply as a flamer.

I agree totally with Eagle and Asp this forum has descended into the realms of religion 'bashing', everyone has a right to believe and practice what ever religion they wish to do so. I am convinced that certain individuals only come on to this forum to create trouble and the forum would be a better place without them. Everyone enjoys a bit of banter and muck stirring but some individuals well cross the line.

it was started simply as a flamer.

Not so Eagle - it just struck me that a religion that is based on the bible - and uses that book to condemn , for example , gay relationships and to exclude married and female priests appears to .ignore the ten commandments.

If certain people on here are unable to deal with such things without getting hysterical then perhaps we should all stick to threads about flower arranging and  where to buy the nicest doilies.

If a group of people wish to worship some unseen being using an ancient text as a guide, surely it is up to them how they interpret that guide without criticism from some random bloke.

Religious organisations - Roman Catholic, Anglican and others attempt to influence how our society is run (same-sex marriage being only one example) based on a highly selective interpretation of their religions' texts. Therefore as a "random bloke" in that society I feel that is fair enough for me to comment on the selective nature of that interpretation.

Nick, if you want to marry a random bloke then just get on with it instead of mounting a crusade against religions.

Was the use of the word crusade meant to be ironic - considering that word's etymology? :P

I am not mounting a campaign against religion - I have my own beliefs  - one god, Jesus the son of god etc. but do not look to impose my religious views  on others.

I have no wish to marry a bloke - random or otherwise

a) I am heterosexual

B) My wife would (probably) object :roll:

However if I wanted to I do not feel that I should be prevented from doing so by someone else's selective interpretation of their sacred texts.

If you don't like religion Nick, do what the rest of us do - just ignore it. No adult is forced to be a Catholic to my knowledge, and people brought up as Catholic don't have to carry on believing (even priests pack it in if they want to!) For some reason you seem to have some deeper hatred of organised religion.This is the path towards violence and should be resisted. To each his own.

If you look around the world's trouble spots, I think you'll find that religious sectarianism is at the root of most human conflict. It is therefore right imo, for the more rational secular elements in society to constantly challenge such anachronistic belief systems. As an aside, there was an interesting prog on TV last night about Israel; it appears the ultra-religious Zionist element of their society (now as high as 30%), the one's who believe that the promised land was bestowed on the Jews by God, giving them the right to occupy the West Bank, thus causing all the friction, together with their Muslim equivalents - don't have to pay taxes or join the IDF to do the fighting over the problems they create. Neither do they have to work, but rely on State benefits - so no wonder there's a M/east "problem".

Nick, if you want to marry a random bloke then just get on with it instead of mounting a crusade against religions.

Surely this must be a different eagle from a thread about the Qur'an - actually I think it is the same one (Cleo objected to his spelling of her sacred text)

This is how he responded;

"Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I am quite happy to carry on using the word Koran at every opportunity, it tends too be only about twice per annum but I will make sure you and other humourless bar stewards know when it happens.  It occasionally becomes more frequent when some nutter has committed violence and cited the Koran as his inspiration."

Surely this must be a different eagle from a thread about the Qur'an - actually I think it is the same one (Cleo objected to his spelling of her sacred text)

This is how he responded;

"Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I am quite happy to carry on using the word Koran at every opportunity, it tends too be only about twice per annum but I will make sure you and other humourless bar stewards know when it happens.  It occasionally becomes more frequent when some nutter has committed violence and cited the Koran as his inspiration."

What has that got to do with you wanting to marry a random bloke?

The quote you found was a response to a spelling mistake comment which wasn't a spelling mistake.

You clearly blame some people's selective interpretation  and violence certainly influences (a part of) society - often permanently

Nick, I think your emotions are getting the better of you, the above sentence that you posted doesn't make any sense!. :unsure: