Graven Images

They Roman Catholic church is still a bit keen on idolatry.

From the BBC

"Poland has unveiled a giant statue of Pope John Paul II, said to be the tallest of the former pontiff anywhere in the world.

Weighing five tonnes, the 13.8m (45-ft) white fibreglass statue shows the pope standing with outstretched arms.

It stands on a hill above the city of Czestochowa in southern Poland.

The city is home to the country's most important pilgrimage site, the Jasna Gora monastery, and its icon of the Black Madonna.

The ceremony began with an actor reading fragments of texts written by the late pope.

A choir sang and the archbishop of Czestochowa blessed the statue........."

This tendency is also seen when they parade statues of the virgin mary on walking days etc.

Rest assured nickle arse, Cleo is not confused.

First let me reassure you that the Qur'an does not prohibit the portrayal of Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).

What we muslims took exception to was the cartooning of Muhammad (peace and blesing be upon him) and also the video nasty, Innocence of Muslims, that portrayed Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) as a depraved, perverted and sadistic false prophet, a simple minded murderer, a  paedophile, as well as being gay and a womaniser sexually praying on women.

This cheap video nasty was made and promoted by anti islam men with the sole purpose of stirring up anger among the muslims. It worked. Unfortunately incurring the deaths of several people and damaged embassies in several countries.

Including one's own ego?

I can assure you that one's own ego is not nearly as big as yours.

Rest assured nickle arse, Cleo is not confused.

First let me reassure you that the Qur'an does not prohibit the portrayal of Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).

What we muslims took exception to was the cartooning of Muhammad (peace and blesing be upon him) and also the video nasty, Innocence of Muslims, that portrayed Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) as a depraved, perverted and sadistic false prophet, a simple minded murderer, a  paedophile, as well as being gay and a womaniser sexually praying on women.

This cheap video nasty was made and promoted by anti islam men with the sole purpose of stirring up anger among the muslims. It worked. Unfortunately incurring the deaths of several people and damaged embassies in several countries.

I didn't name any particular examples but if I could be bothered I could find examples where the very fact that Muhammad was portrayed caused uproar , not the nature of the portrayal.

Here is a quote from the website of the Muslim Council of Britain -taken from a letter sent by their Secretary General to the Daily Mail

"....The picture of the Prophet Muhammed (peace and blessings of God be upon him) and the associated headline of John Casey's article (Daily Mail, November 17, 2001 p.12-13) has caused widespread distress to British Muslims.

In Islam it is absolutely prohibited to attempt to sketch or reconstruct a likeness of any Prophet of God......... "

Clearly there are some, I accept not all, who regard such portrayal as going against Islamic teachings, even if not the Qur'an itself . So , as I said I fail to understand your confusion - unless you are again determined to carry on with your petty little vendetta.

my petty little vendetta....? Methinks it's yours. And I say again there is no prohibition on portrayig the prophet Muhammad (pece and blessings be upon him), despite what whoever wrote to whoever. Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) has been portrayed in films without any backlash. But, if the anti muslim brigade is going to portray him as a cartoon character and as in the video nasty Innocence of Muslims they can expect and will rceive a furious response from muslims worldwide.

Here we go again and I'm so glad I spent hours eventually managing to get online and stay online on a 10 year old pc (temporarily) NOT !!  Yes it probably has shown me as being online for a few days but I wasn't other than for a few minutes here and there and I didn't log out so was 'virtually' here.  I think I like my virtual world better as it's a happier and more pleasant place to be.

..... That 'video' was discussed ages ago on here and at depth (and the same can be said across many topics) so what's the point in bringing the damn thing up again !?!

Maybe it would be better if a complete block was put on anything to do with religion as it always results in the same old crap and same 'discussions' (for want of a better word) and can only be described as becoming somewhat boring and very predictable in its way forward from here on based on past experience and reading IMHO

No offence meant of course :roll::)

• Upvote 1