Slovakians

Cleopatra

I guessed Cleo; I was stuck behind a left hand drive yesterday, and worked out his number plate (SK). Q is, are they here in addition to the Poles, or to replace them?  Just for interest: what would be the racial classification of E/Europeans? As I understand it they are Caucasian or Indo-European - same as us; but possibly sub-grouped as Slavic. Which makes one wonder how the private fish farmer who put up a sign banning "East Europeans" can receive complaints of being "racist"?

9,890 people from Slovakia were given a National Insurance number in the 2011/12 tax year with the majority heading for Warrington.

Twice as many foreigners are now living in Bewsey and Whitecross than any other ward in the town.

Residents from all corners of the Earth are living in the town including Africa, New Zealand, Iraq, Afghanistan, Singapore, Jamaica and one person from Somalia.

Reminds me of the time we were driving through Wolverhampton some years ago. The busy town was full of black people, which made me remark to my husband, "Lord love a duck! We are in Africa!" We counted in the crowd 4 white faces and deduced they must have been tourists.

Cleo, and you'll note that some, will be sending their kids to the local Primary schools. btw you missed out the Philapinos !    My question Kevo, is how can it be "racist" to make reference to a geographical population IE  E/Europeans, who in broad terms fall into the same racial grouping as ourselves. The term has been totally abused by the PC brigade - perhaps some legal expert could advise?

Seems like Warrington has become a truly multi-racial town but I can remember the time as a, young child, when it was a rare occasion to see other than white faces.

A smartly dressed young black man walked down our street and caused a sensation among the neighbours, who looked twice at him to be sure of what they were seeing. "Look at him!" and "Oh he is black!" and other such remarks. I guess at that time a coloured person would have felt really different and isolated from the indiginous population.

I can remember as a child and as Cleo has stated that there very few black people living in Warrington other than American servicemen, there were some Adenese living in the Arpley area and a few Sikhs, I can only remember one black family who lived near my cousins in Howley, some German and Italian POW's remained after the war and also some Polish servicemen but they were few and far between, Romany Gypsies (not tinkers/travellers) used to knock on your door selling clothes pegs and coloured artificial flowers made from wood and I can remember if you didn't cross there palms with silver they would stand on the door step and put a curse on you, there was never a problem with foreigners coming in and occupying the houses as in those days most people in the town rented houses or lived in council houses, very few people owned their own homes and although wages weren't high there were plenty of jobs to go round. However the standard of living for the working classes was no where near as comfortable as it is today!.

Good post Algy. Travel these days is much easier too so it's only a couple of hours for Europeans to come here ,just like us going on European holidays whereas at one time if you got a week in Blackpool that was it . Like you say Algy the standard of living & quality of life is so much better now & poverty is relative.

And me and my foreign husband, although here in Egypt I am the foreigner and still called, by some people, the foreign woman, or, the britsch woman but in a friendly manner not a hostile manner. 

It's amazing how many people can't get their heads around the fact that when a brit is abroad he or she is the foreigner.

I have even had discussions with ex-pats visiting who whinge about immigrants here but do not have the brain power to realise the irony and will not accept that they are immigrants where they live.