How to punish the Bankers?

Seems one Banker, allegedly part responsible for the failure  of HBOS and it's subsequent rescue by the tax-payer to the tune of £20billion; has given up his knighthood and 30% of his pension, leaving himself a mere £400,000 pa to manage on. But why are we relying on these people to voluntarily decide on their level of punishment, if at all?  Are they criminally liable, as well as morally liable; and what legal sanctions are actually available to punish them?

And all you people disagree with me when I say the banks should have been allowed to collapse. Obviously you used to be uncertain but now you're just not sure. So instead of being punished the bankers were given taxpayers money and you all thought it was a good idea.

But you are yet to explain, how we would carry on without the banks, HBOS was bought out and then took Loyds down, Who would have bought the banks, if buying them would take you down, and when the debt they had was to other banks, and so righting off the debt also would have taken down banks?

At least yours just crashed LT as I googled and type it wrong. 

I suggest that anyone else googling checks their spelling first as banking (??) failure or collapse can be quite shocking :oops:  :lol:

I dread to imagine what my other half will think if he looks at the internet history as he's waiting to use it (the internet and PC I mean )