Man with a Plan?

observer

A 10 year plan from Red Ed to bolster the NHS, novel in that it goes beyond one parliamentary term. No doubt designed to recover the grey vote from UKIP, by offering some prospect of care in their twilight years; but is it doable? The scale of the investment required in the NHS, with increasing demand from age related illness, may require rather more revenues than a Mansion and tobacco company tax; and this within the context of a continuing budget deficit. But if we leave the funding as being problematic, what of his solution?  20,0000 new nurses, plus doctors and midwives; good news for the million or so youngsters who can't get a job; so presumably it will take time to recruit and train this increase in staff for the NHS? OR, will these new posts be filled more quickly by advertising them abroad?!

I think to implement any changes like that would need an end to the bank nursing system with an offer of proper jobs & an increase in pay to rival private sector hospitals. Oh & wasn't it Labour who got us in this mess to start with so i can't see where the finance will come from.

finance is the easy part that is already in the pipeline. Get rid of free TV licenses for the elderly, cut down the benefits for the elderly, cut the winter fuel payments to the elderly and as has already happened increase the working age to a level where the elderly are still working up unrtil the day they die thus saving money the gov would need to pay for care homes later on.

or is that just a tad cynical on my part.

The problem with blaming the banks, although I would agree; is that none of the Parties have or will do anything to them. Not one "banker" has been held to account for the crash; the top men have left on golden parachutes and the bonus culture still survives.  The irony of course is that we now own most of the banks, but still don't appear to control them.  As for sourcing funding from "the rich"; the idea that HMRC will suddenly become fit for purpose and start chasing down tax avoiders is more about hope than reality. Meanwhile, without establishment of parameters, the NHS will continue to suck in funds like a black hole;  in the face of ever increasing demands.  This alongside a deficit, that will still require sorting; unless Ed wants to build it up again for the Tories !