All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Good advice asp.
  3. asperity

DVLA Text

I received the following today: DVLA:You are eligible to receive a vehicle tax refund. Please submit your request via ukdriverf.inal-give-back.co.uk/vehicle14 Thank It was sent from a mobile number. It's an obvious phishing attempt as Government Agencies don't send texts offering to give you money! Also their internet address would end in gov.uk . Please be aware that this sort of fraud attempt is becoming quite common. I haven't been tempted to open the link and have deleted the text. I'll probably report it to Action Fraud.
  4. I get that feeling using a step stool to change a light bulb davy. Good news as well davy the sun is shining, just too many clouds in the way as usual.🤫
  5. A waste of time and money in that case surely? If the Scots truly want independence, they should insist that any future referendum be UK wide. There would undoubtably be at least two thirds majority in their favour 🤣.
  6. Seems a new poll puts the Scots 53% in favour of Independence IF BoJo gets the top job ! Having seen the mess that referendums can cause; should we insist that any future referendums require a two thirds majority to change the status quo ? A two thirds majority is the normal criteria for constitutional changes in most organisations and in the case of either a Scots Independence Ref or another EU Ref - wouldn't be attainable - thus meaning no change. In the case of Scotland, they've arguably had their "once in a generation" vote, so there really is no reason for Westminster to grant another one in any case. Clearly our political system has had it's fingers burnt by the incorrect use of referendums, so perhaps a two thirds majority requirement would reduce the appetite for them ?
  7. Sid, it's a binary system, and as we know from Brexit, some folk have difficulty with binary choices. 😑
  8. Perhaps if they concentrated on causations, they may find a cure.
  9. P J

PC ban -

Yawn, now there is an exercise in boring pedantry ad nauseam if ever there was one, what a dry and crusty read. as this ruling is not able to travel back in time the point of old adverts falling foul of it is completely irrelevant and frankly stupid. this is not an attack on free speech , rather a kick in the pants for lazy ad agencies. as you say it has no effect on your life and I doubt it will alter the quality of life of anyone in a negative way so just more hot air from the usual suspects.
  10. Enshrine carbon dioxide emissions in law even though the government cannot directly control them! More pointless stupidity - in fact just the same as reducing child poverty when it is defined as a relative measure so cannot go away by definition unless everyone is uniformly poor.
  11. Once again you twist and turn, the question from you was: hurtful adjective Causing distress to someone's feelings. ‘his hurtful remarks’ So once again you subtly changed the meaning to make it seem that you were correct. You were being deliberately offensive with the question and your attempt at refutation was flawed. Your question was about feelings whilst the policy is about actual harm, although of a social kind. You have clearly at last read the actual guidance in an attempt to respond to my point. In response to your proper question, no I wouldn't miss any of those things in the guidance but I have heard many discussions on the radio about old adverts claiming they would have fallen foul of this policy. On the Media show a person from the ASA in fact said that they would be a problem. One of them was the Karl Howman Flash advert. It was interesting that the young commentators interpreted the adverts completely differently from our family, we had seen them in passing at the time. Their interpretation was distorted to fit their own point of view. So while I don't think I would miss those paradigms in the guidance nor do I see a justification to ban them. In essence there is not sufficient evidence of harm to justify the reduction in the means of expression available to the producers of adverts. That is why I see this as an unnecessary reduction in free speech. In controlling the breadth of images and words available to express the ideas of ads this is an instance of the philosophy behind PC. Hence it is, in effect, a PC ban. You will realise, I hope, that I am not agreeing with Obs deliberately or disagreeing with you deliberately - I am just adding my opinion to a discussion. The continuing use of insults detracts from the discussion and very often derails it completely. The parting question for you to answer is do you agree with freedom of speech, within the law, on this and other social media?
  12. Davy51

Dreams etc

Apart from the fantasy i had the other night where i dreamt the sun was shining ,i very rarely remember my dreams ,although i must have them. The most memorable are the ones where i am drifting off to sleep & find myself staring over a steep cliff or off the top of a building ,then i wake with a shudder.
  13. P J

PC ban -

The schoolboy was apparently removed from the lesson for being disruptive. Seems he had pre-planned it and had it videoed. Still, it gave the swivel eyed loons some red meat to chew on. Oh! and it still has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue at hand.
  14. P J

PC ban -

[Advertisements] must not include gender stereotypes that are likely to cause harm, or serious or widespread offence. Now who can get themselves in a lather about this? Are any of the adverts which are mentioned as examles something anyone will miss (yes I did read the ASA ruling). Nothing in the ASA ruling either affects or offends or bothers me. Why should it? and why should anyone be bothered at all by it? Which of the given examples of unsuitable adverts will you miss the most? Oh! and for the record , hardly a diversion at all, in fact it is barely a meander. harm verb [ T ] UK /hɑːm/ US /hɑːrm/ B2 to hurt someone or damage something:
  15. double posted for some odd reason.
  16. Well i am sorry to say that the schoolboy was wrong. I was always taught, in English language class, that there are three recognised genders, Male, Female and Neuter. However biology class stated there are two more. Hermaphrodite and asexual, although asexual could be classed as neuter and although they can be applied to humans the meaning of asexual changes although the meaning of hermaphrodite does not as far as i am aware. Stereotyping or removal thereof can lead to some interesting results if carried to extremes. aliens would not be able to attack the earth any more for a start (well actually they would not be able to attack the USA as they seem to do on a regular basis) villains henchmen would disappear overnight to be replaced with hench people who would be unrecognisable as such because they would look just like normal people in stead of menacing hulks with shaved heads and a mean line in knuckle cracking. British upper classes would not be portrayed as fox chasing chinless wonders who say "HAW HAW" all the time whilst drinking from hip flasks. the list would be endless.🤔🤪
  17. P J

PC ban -

it was your buddy Observer who changed it to hurtful in the opening post of the topic, well he actually spelled it hurtfull at least twice but there we go. You did read the opening post before expressing such firm views didn't you?
  18. P J

Dreams etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm09d4z65Bg
  19. Perhaps clothing manufacturers could step in and make all clothing stab resistant. If stabbing somebody has little effect then stabbing knife crime would go down.
  20. Well that should put paid to the call centres, so some good will come out of it all.🤭
  21. I am aware that i have dreams but not their content in any detail. Although i will admit to waking up with a death grip on the mattress and the feeling that i have just had a very narrow escape although what from i have no idea. One of my best curses to put on anybody is "may ALL your dreams come true". Much more horrible than the "may you live in interesting times"one if you really think about it. I did often wonder about what my dog was dreaming about. his little legs scrabbling away, and making small barking noises every so often. It was the blood-curdling howl that used to put the willies up me, especially at 3 in the morning. How a small dog could manage to produce a sound that would not have been out of place in your average horror movie is beyond me. werewolves would spring to mind when he did that. The funny thing is that he would often wake himself up when he did that and the stare around wondering where the noise came from.
  22. Ah, so you understand point tw?
  23. Yesterday
  24. India and China will die laughing when all the elite idiots commit financial suicide and leave them as the only solvent countries. Of course, they too will die in about a thousand years, maybe.
  25. And he's allowed to vote. Explains a lot.
  26. It seems the treacherous May wants to make sure the country is bankrupted as her legacy with her attempt to legalise the zero "carbon" emissions by 2050 pledge. Utter nonsense of course, because even if this country reduced our CO2 emissions to zero tomorrow (which means everyone would have to stop breathing) the only effect it would have on the global climate would be zero. It's time for some adults to take charge and deal with the real world as it is, not the fantasy climate disaster world that is being sold to us as reality.
  1. Load more activity