All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Evil Sid

Which side are you on

I have a signed van dyke painting at home. I tell you Dick van Dyke is a better actor than painter.🤭 Art is what you make of it. Three black dots arranged in a triangle on a white background and labelled as a polar bear in snow. If done by me would be laughed at by everyone..if it was done by say Picasso or one of the other well known painters, it would be lauded as a masterpiece and fought over by people who have more money than several banks could count. I once heard a very humorous description of the difference between art and lewd paintings. if it has urns it is art, if it has cherubs it is art, if it has a potted plant, on a stand it just scrapes through as art, anything else is just lewd pictures. Years ago spray painting on a wall was classed as vandalism, now it sells for thousands of pounds and is classed as art. I understand what stallard is saying. it is not the art as such he is saying is a hoax but the pretension of the people who will go into raptures over a certain wine that to your average person would be just fizzy vinegar in a fancy bottle. Sniffs glass,takes a sip of wine, swills round mouth, stares meaningly at ceiling and then says,"oh it a chateau naff de pope, 1820 (or twenty five past six at the latest), grown from grapes on the sunny side of the hill in the vineyard situated seven foot eight inches from the friary of st Herbert. stomped by a left handed leprechaun with a squint and bottled in hand blown glass from the desserts of africa with a cork specially imported from the sacred cork trees of the outer Himalayas and harvested using ancient techniques known only to three ancient masters of the temple ding dong in the valley of Avonk a ling. Am i right?" "nah mate fifty pence a bottle at bargain booze"
  3. P J

Which side are you on

did he get a tin of Mr. Sheen with the magic cloths?
  4. P J

Which side are you on

As usual the opening poster is talking a load of Jackson Pollacks Guernica by Picasso is widely acclaimed as the greatest anti war painting in history so hardly a "hoax". LS Lowry not only put the industrial landscapes of the north onto the art map, he also painted some haunting portraits. A quick trip to the Lowry exhibition may prove educational and informative.
  5. Yesterday
  6. Davy51

May to go -

The best indicator of support for the type of Brexit will be given by the Euro elections .Get plenty of seats for the leave parties & a mandate is provided for a swift exit. These elections should completely remove the need for remainers to harp on about another referendum .
  7. Last week
  8. Observer II

Knives out for Nigel -

Seems the EU has swallowed the CH4 smear campaign and will investigate Nigel's financial affairs; just like they did with Mariane Le Pen. This from an organisation swimming in corruption that hasn't had it's books audited in over a decade. Don't they know that our Tory Party has been funded by Millionaires since it was founded, and if millionaires want to start funding a popular politician for a change - so be it. Just sour grapes from our liberal media and the EU. Still, if they can't play the ball, I suppose they have to play the man.
  9. Observer II

May to go -

Asp, I use the term without any fear whatsoever - the sooner the better, and put this pantomime behind us.
  10. asperity

May to go -

"Crash out" with no deal is just remoaner propaganda, designed to make it seem like a bad thing.
  11. Observer II

May to go -

So, May stands down; BoJo (the favourite) takes over; the numbers in Parliament haven't changed - so what happens ? I suppose if the new PM makes some futile attempt to renegotiate the Backstop, which the EU have said is their last offer; takes us over the October deadline and we simply crash out with no deal or a G/Election is called to try and refresh the parliamentary arithmetic ?
  12. Observer II

Which side are you on

The King's magic suit of cloths.
  13. asperity

Hull FC at home

A disappointing game, filled with errors and some fighting. Wire took the lead but Hull soon equalised and then forged ahead thanks to poor tackling and handling errors by Warrington making the score at half time 18-6 for the visitors. Wire scored another converted try in the second half but couldn't find a way through the Hull defence again. Hull added another point with a drop goal, but even that proved unnecessary in the end. Josh Charnley was named Man of the Match for Warrington, probably because he made less errors than anyone else. Final score 12-19, another loss for the Wire and St Helens pull further ahead. Hull demonstrated a fine array of tactics in slowing the game down at times, players collapsing at the first sign of a dirty look from a Warrington player. Not an exciting game at all.
  14. Evil Sid

Which side are you on

reminds me of the time i knocked over and broke a ming dynasty vase. The curator dashed over to me and said "oh my god that was a one of a kind, hand decorated by the great Chur nemout" i looked at the pieces and asked "was it expensive" "You cannot put a price on it" he said "oh worthless then" my solemn reply. Art is what you make of it. one man's art is another man's pile of bricks.
  15. Stallard12

Which side are you on

Just been reading about the great Manchester wine disaster. Made me think of other examples of elitist stupidity. In my opinion, after looking at old master paintings, Picasso and Lowry etc have got to be a hoax. Am I wrong? Maybe I'm just a Philistine.
  16. Evil Sid

Manchester Wine Mistake !

£4,500 for a bottle of wine!!! I paid less than that for the harley and it will last longer and give more enjoyment. (well to me at least) I always laugh when i see these wine experts on tv. Swills glass around,sniffs, takes a sip, "ah yes there is a definite hint of honeysuckle and just a slight after taste of either gnats or cats" Most ordinary wine drinkers are like. "it has alcohol in it yes" glug glug "another pplease hic".
  17. asperity

May to go -

18. asperity

Question Time

As a matter of interest, after I'd finished watching a programme on Netflix this evening, I switched onto QT to see who was on the panel. They were discussing the Jeremy Kyle Show, obviously a subject of great political importance just now. 30 seconds later I switched off. Not a serious programme at all now.
  19. Observer II

May to go -

Finally the PM has agreed to resign in due course; but if we think the pantomime is over, just look at the possible replacements, led by BoJO - a sad reflection on the quality of our politics and politicians. Perhaps candidates should have medical exams to discover if the have a back bone ?
  20. Latchford Locks

Could anyone ??? Give them Aldi's best and they wouldn't notice the change ! Just arrogant Exhibitionism at it's most obscene level.
  21. Observer II

Would they taste the difference ?
  22. Latchford Locks

In the news today I read this unbelievable story,the kind that in the past has been the fuel of many countries revolts and revolutions. Hawksmoor Manchester: Diners given £4,500 red wine by mistake The customers were given a 2001 bottle of Chateau le Pin Pomerol Lucky diners were accidentally served a £4,500 bottle of red wine at a restaurant. Hawksmoor Manchester said on Twitter it hoped the customers had enjoyed their evening after being given the pricey 2001 bottle of Chateau le Pin Pomerol. The diners ordered a £260 Bordeaux but received the bottle "of the same vintage" which was 17 times the price. A "mortified" staff member who made the error has been urged to keep their "chin up" as "one-off mistakes happen". It was only afterwards that the restaurant's manager realised the mistake, a spokesman said. 🧐 It is obscene that anybody would pay that kind of money on a bottle of wine in the first place .
  1. Load more activity