Lost Pubs of Warrington

Graz

The Horse & Jockey

My stock of lost pubs is running out, but here's one for PJ.  Countless millions of burgers have been served up here over the years.  On Winwick road (A49)  looking across from the fire station :-

HorseampJockey-now_zps866f4282.jpg

How many people remember it as a much better place to spend an hour:-

Horse-and-Jockey_zpsfbd13cdb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kingsway always had a bad reputation. One of the later Landlords Harry Mercer went to the Crown and Cushion in Penketh about 1986 and then to the Goshawk at Mouldsworth. I won't name any names from the Kingsway but suffice it to say that you wouldn't invite them home for tea and certainly not if your wage packet was behind the clock on the mantelpiece...

Peridot

The Mersey

Half way along Mersey street you can now flog your unwanted gold or clothes, and perhaps get yourself a high interest loan

TheMerseynow_zps3d8b3ee6.jpg

A few years ago you could get yourself a drink here. This was taken before the road was widened, you can see the parking space in front of the pub.  I had forgotten the petrol station in the background

The-Mersey_zps21cd34ba.jpg

• Upvote 1

I served my apprenticeship just round the corner from the Horse and Jockey and one night after finishing work I nipped into the bar to buy 10 fags. The bar was crowded and I got engrossed in a news story on the telly.  Suddenly, the barman asked what I wanted and my brain mustn’t have been fully in gear because I asked for a pint of bitter.  As he was pulling the pint, I realized that I only just had enough for the beer so no fags but worst still I now didn’t have enough for my buss fare home either. :wacko:

The beer was bloody awful, it was raining and I get home late, soaked wet through, dinner ruined and smelling of beer and then had to try and convince Mrs Green that I bought a pint by mistake. :mrgreen:

Happy days.

Bill :)

My dad always told the horse and jockey story of a habitual drinker in there.  He lived in Forster street - on the other side of a not then so busy a  main road.  When his dinner or tea was ready his wife sent the dog for him.

Circa 1957 the rates of the H and J were 1500 pounds a year - an astronomical sum in those days.

Happy days.

The Horse & Jockey

My stock of lost pubs is running out, but here's one for PJ.  Countless millions of burgers have been served up here over the years.  On Winwick road (A49)  looking across from the fire station :-

HorseampJockey-now_zps866f4282.jpg

How many people remember it as a much better place to spend an hour:-

Horse-and-Jockey_zpsfbd13cdb.jpg

Thank you so much, I have many happy memories of this pub.

John Martin Varley was one of the old time baddies.  He would fight you like mad if you arrested him but bore no malice afterwards.  All the drinking fighters in those days were the same - and they fought fair.

Happy days

I knew John Martin going back years ago, he was ok really.

The Bay Horse

Winwick street, across the road from Mike & Martha's,  just passing time as a carpark until the  the whole area gets re-developed

BayHorsenow_zps4dc7d85b.jpg

There are plenty of pictures of the Bay Horse on the net, most better than this one, but I love the way the bus shelter looks as manky as I remember it ! 

Bay-Horse_zpsce9c54a4.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Patten Tavern

Next to the Patten Arms Hotel,  across the road from Bank Quay station

PattenTavernnow_zps08b91773.jpg

I have driven past countless times and hadn't clocked its been knocked down and is additional hotel car parking.  The hotel fire escape hasn't changed.   Here it is  in the 70's"-

Patten-Tavern_zps487c5ffc.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Golden Lion

This one isn't so long departed.  If you're ever going past, stop and have a look at the (gold leaf ?) golden lion over the main doors - quite impressive !.  Just across the Mersey, heading down A50  Knutsford road towards Latchford.

GoldenLionNow_zps4ade5267.jpg

Golden Lion as a pub.  Note Warrington (Howley) power station in the background

Golden-Lion_zpsa9ad54e3.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have a story which i will not bore you with - does anyone have a picture or anything to say about the Old house at Home.?

Happy days

I do remember the 'Old House at Home' but only in it's latter days and only went in a couple of times, but tell us the story Harry there is no way you will bore us. :wink:

I've never heard of the 'Old House at Home'.   Where was that then and was it a normal pub as it's name makes it sound more like something that was set up in someones front room.  

Harry, I agree with Algy so please do tell your story as you have never bored me with anything you have ever posted on here :)