Lost Pubs of Warrington

Graz

Re the Longford. As a policeman in 1956 (i think) they had a giant screen TV which was unknown in those days.  I was watching the programme through the window when a plate of sausages appeared on screen.  So naive in those days- took a while to realise it was the first night of commercial television.

Happy days

I had no idea the Riverside had gone! I got chucked out of there once, still got no idea what for. Me and a friend walked in and the bar person shouted "Oi! You! Out!", wouldn't listen to anything we said, just made us leave! I can only imagine he got us mixed up with some other wrong 'un in the area. 

Great photos though. I remember The Raven but never drank in there, it was knocked down when I was a just about in my teens I think. 

It was the Longford FB John.... and I believe that they were Scotland fans on their way to a match at Wembley!

Latchford Locks.... thanks for the correction.... I knew it was something like that and is reassuring that someone reads my posts! :lol:

It was the Longford FB John.... and I believe that they were Scotland fans on their way to a match at Wembley!

Latchford Locks.... thanks for the correction.... I knew it was something like that and is reassuring that someone reads my posts! :lol:

That is perfectly true Baz, I remember it vividly! :lol:

Nothing beats good memories but.... what I had for dinner today is a mystery...

still I loved the past and no matter what kind of world we live in now nobody can pinch them  :wink:

Great photos again Graz although I don't remember either of theose pubs.

Any idea when the Manx and Glassmakers first opened as some of my ancestors used to live over that way so maybe they used to go in those pubs for a pint or two after a hard days graft. 

I just wish I had the forward thinking to walk the town and taken photos of streets and buildings that have disappeared in my time.

Maybe that's something that we should all start doing now as many other buildings (not necessarily pubs) are still here now but may be lost or changed beyond recognition in the not too distant future.

I might ask if I can take internal photo's of the Saracans Head on Wilderspool Causeway some time as I believe that may be changing hands very soon and might be getting an revamp and overhall. I hope they don't make it all open plan and remove any of the original features to make it trendy as it would looses it's old and cosy feel. Saying that I think it's listed so maybe they wont..... but maybe no-one cares so they will.

Hello Dizzy.

Good idea,  I was thinking that myself when I was taking some of the 'now"  pictures.  There isn't much left of what's on Algy's maps so it would be a good idea to capture it all before its gone. In this digital age its as good as free to do, all it takes is a little time.

Regards,

Graz 

Graz, a photo of the Woolpack on the Corner of Barbauld Street around 1919/20 When you look at the quality of the architecture of the building there is just no comparison with the rubbish structure they replaced it with. The Mill Stone Inn is opposite on the corner of Mill Street, I have ringed them on the 1909 map along with three other pubs, all a bit before you were wandering the streets with your camera though. :wink:1909_zpsd3394e8d.jpg1920SankeyStreet_zps6777a92f.jpg

• Upvote 1

Gosh I remember the Woolpack as it is shown show in your photo Graz.  Brings back more memories that I;d forgotten all about as I went in there a few times and seem to remember it as a bit of a dive and a rockers' place.  Very loud rock music and lots of beers but not really a girlie place even with the tassled leathers :oops:  :lol:

Great to see yours in comparison Algy and it looks much nicer around there at that time .....maybe I'd have been better suited to that era after all :wink:  

Algy,

Very interesting map and picture,  I agree it seems that modern buildings are ephemeral now, with the life expectancy of a prefab,  nobody would dream of having a ceremony where the Mayor lays the foundation stone  for most modern buildings  !  

It  looks like the (then) new anonymous slab sided architectural style-free Woolpack eventually got rebuilt just round the corner from the old one.  As I've been scanning my pictures in  I've been struck at how grand some of the old brick built structures were, they must have cost a lot to build in their day with an expectation they would endure for many years.

On a separate note,  is that Eustance's clock I see on Sankey St.  , I wonder where that is now ?

Regards,

Graz

The huge clock on Algy pic looks like it shouldn't have been there and that it's was superimposed... I realise it wasn't but it looks like it.

Like you point out Graz many of the older and more elaborate brick built buildings of the time were very grand and a lot of attention to detail was clearly part of the original design process not to mention standard of build quality and the hope that they would survive for many many years. 

I'm sure that if they had been 'allowed' to remain and/or been looked after a little better in their later years rather than just being seen as 'old fashioned' or 'in the way' they would definately still be outliving many of their modern day replacements and would for many more years without a doubt.

The street scene would be far more pleasing on the eye too. 

It's a great shame that more have not been retained over the years but maybe time will turn again and we will start to see more buildings being built with character and style that are more aesthetically pleasing and valued. 

Saying that modern day ones go up so quick that they wont be built to the same high quality or standard as they once were so the new ones probably wont last more than 30 years :(    

The Kingsway Hotel

Here's one that's definitely gone forever. On Kingsway South on the corner of Reynolds St.,  heading towards the swing bridge, (Just before the new Subway posh butty shop)

TheKingswayhotelnow_zps0cbab8a9.jpg

I never frequented this place. I am led to believe it got a big refit in its Greenhall days shortly before it was closed down for good and flattened  (don't know why).  The building that is there now is new and shares nothing with  . . . . .     The Kingsway Hotel

Kingsway-hotel_zps792b00dd.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Kingsway Hotel

Here's one that's definitely gone forever. On Kingsway South on the corner of Reynolds St.,  heading towards the swing bridge, (Just before the new Subway posh butty shop)

TheKingswayhotelnow_zps0cbab8a9.jpg

I never frequented this place. I am led to believe it got a big refit in its Greenhall days shortly before it was closed down for good and flattened  (don't know why).  The building that is there now is new and shares nothing with  . . . . .     The Kingsway Hotel

Kingsway-hotel_zps792b00dd.jpg

I used to see this pub every day on my way home from school, the image just gave me a huge rush of nostalgia.  BazJ is going to love these cars in the shot Graz

Graz, you have started something now, we'll not leave you alone until we've seen your collection, they are fantastic and unlike the very old ones I put up we can relate to them as there will be many of us who have been in the pubs and have many happy memories, I know I keep saying this but thanks again.

The Kingsway was built along with the estate on a greenfield site about 1935/36 as prior to the Kingsway bridge being constructed 1933/35 there was no road from Latchford and over the Mersey.

Dizz. It would be nice to think that along with the Cockhedge chimney cap it was placed in storage but I doubt it as surely it would have been used in the town centre before now, I shall make enquiries. My grandma used to say that if she thought someone was being false "they had more faces than Eustances Clock", a saying probably local only to Warrington that disappeared with the clock.

WarringtonKingswayBridgecompletedin1933_