Warrington Wolves v Castleford Tigers

Gary

It was so exciting I left 15 minutes before time....bored witless.

Thank goodness for that !

I thought I was the only one who was totally unimpressed with the afternoons events.

I don't know what is missing at HJ these days but the magic has faded,very bland pre match build up and our politically correct match pitchside mc or whatever title he has seems as bored as me.

When Sean Mellor was running pitchside the atmosphere was really good now it is to uninspiring for words !

Crowd chants are reprimanded and flags banned the only thing that is on the up are the catering prices(but thats another tale for another day).

I was left looking at my watch waiting for the final whistle.

We won convincingly but after the game there just seemed a lack of any sense of achievement and in the pubs post match the talk was of anything but the game. And that is the most worrying thing of all :angry: 

I just don't enjoy the game anymore and when my season ticket runs out I can't see me renewing it...The last straw for me was a tannoy announcement informing me I can't enjoy my electronic fag anymore...why not ?? It only emits odourless vapour and doesn't annoy anybody....Perhaps these jobsworths can SEE me appearing to smoke and just don't approve of it...Around three seaons ago myself and two mates were informed we couldn't bring a vacuum flask anymore to enjoy a half time drink for fear we'd use it as a missile yet the drunks can bring as many bottles of booze up to the seats as they wish....what about those being used as missiles ? This club now has more rules than the British Army and they can stick the club where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned. I've had enough....It isn't the  Warrington Rugby League Club anymore...I feel no affection for it...The same thing is happening at Saints. I present a weekly pub quiz in St Helens and up until recently me and the punters enjoyed a spot of good natured banter but nowadays I just can't get them going. They just don't care. 

Gentlemen I surrendered my season ticket when games became so predictable - If the big teams field full strength sides and take a game seriously they generally win.

Perhaps you should try the town's other sporting attraction where you can still enjoy a pie and pint for a few quid and not be bossed around by jobsworths.

You certainly never know that a game is a foregone conclusion when watching Warrington Town FC!

Even if you don't like the football watching the manager shouting and screaming at the officials is worth the admission.

Concessions is only a fiver and if you are a student, bus pass holder e.t.c you can generally get in free!

I just don't enjoy the game anymore and when my season ticket runs out I can't see me renewing it...The last straw for me was a tannoy announcement informing me I can't enjoy my electronic fag anymore...why not ?? It only emits odourless vapour and doesn't annoy anybody....Perhaps these jobsworths can SEE me appearing to smoke and just don't approve of it...Around three seaons ago myself and two mates were informed we couldn't bring a vacuum flask anymore to enjoy a half time drink for fear we'd use it as a missile yet the drunks can bring as many bottles of booze up to the seats as they wish....what about those being used as missiles ? This club now has more rules than the British Army and they can stick the club where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned. I've had enough....It isn't the  Warrington Rugby League Club anymore...I feel no affection for it...The same thing is happening at Saints. I present a weekly pub quiz in St Helens and up until recently me and the punters enjoyed a spot of good natured banter but nowadays I just can't get them going. They just don't care. 

My Dad must be turning in his grave at the way his beloved Wires have become so ermmmmm "sanitised" my Dad went through the war years and emerged expecting a free and happy land ....

oh well  here we are in the Brave New World... No fags,no singing "naughty"songs no flags ...get off them yellow lines..No flasks of tea....it's like being back at school..   I could go on for ages but won't..and to cap it all a pointless competition devoid of promotion and relegation...grrrrrrrrrrr..

I may well give Canterlever Park a spin instead :x

My Dad must be turning in his grave at the way his beloved Wires have become so ermmmmm "sanitised" my Dad went through the war years and emerged expecting a free and happy land ....

oh well  here we are in the Brave New World... No fags,no singing "naughty"songs no flags ...get off them yellow lines..No flasks of tea....it's like being back at school..   I could go on for ages but won't..and to cap it all a pointless competition devoid of promotion and relegation...grrrrrrrrrrr..

I may well give Cantilever Park a spin instead :x

I am sure you will be made most welcome- The Wire are at home to Wakefield this Saturday,kick off 3pm -just like the good old days :wink:

Thank goodness for that !

I thought I was the only one who was totally unimpressed with the afternoons events.

I don't know what is missing at HJ these days but the magic has faded,very bland pre match build up and our politically correct match pitchside mc or whatever title he has seems as bored as me.

When Sean Mellor was running pitchside the atmosphere was really good now it is to uninspiring for words !

Crowd chants are reprimanded and flags banned the only thing that is on the up are the catering prices(but thats another tale for another day).

I was left looking at my watch waiting for the final whistle.

We won convincingly but after the game there just seemed a lack of any sense of achievement and in the pubs post match the talk was of anything but the game. And that is the most worrying thing of all :angry: 

Well I was left "underwhelmed" tonight once more... is it me and an age thing or has the ZIP gone out of match days at the moment ?

I really did not get much out of this evenings match..Again  :|

I think what's wrong with the modern game is that tries are ground out rather than created by entertaning play...Most tries are scored as a result of tactical kicking...i.e. kicking the ball into no-man's land hoping the oppositon make a mistake or keeping them pinned close to their own line...and then flopping over in the corner usually from a high kick skywards. The exception last night was the Myler try created by Trent Waterhouse...Tries like that are becoming increasingly rare.You tend not to see tries of such quality at every game hence the loss of interest of old timers such as myself and possibly Latch. Like most sport RL has been coached to death...A formulated *game plan* is arrived at and stuck to rigidly and woebetide anybody wavering from the script...They'd probably find themselves on loan at Batley or somewhere. What I did notice last night at the stadium was the lack of activity from the tannoy jockey...Not a single announcement was made regarding, language, songs, don't stand on the yellow lines don't smoke you electronic fag(I was puffing away all night)...Could it be the club don't want the watching TV audience know they treat us like errant schoolchildren or potential criminals ? Whatever the reason it was a most welcome approach towards we the paying spectator.

. What I did notice last night at the stadium was the lack of activity from the tannoy jockey...Not a single announcement was made regarding, language, songs, don't stand on the yellow lines don't smoke you electronic fag(I was puffing away all night)...Could it be the club don't want the watching TV audience know they treat us like errant schoolchildren or potential criminals ? Whatever the reason it was a most welcome approach towards we the paying spectator.

Maybe he fell asleep through boredom  B)

Isn't it true that every team sport played on a designated pitch has only so many available plays before it becomes repetitive & boring (?) , i mean, look how big the coaches play book is in gridiron & that must be one of the most boring & over hyped sports on the planet  despite all the alternatives in the book. In RL though the very fact that we have long since lost the choice of having the ball for more than 6 tackles has made a requirement for kicking , which we criticise the rah rah brigade for.I believe that this restriction in ball time & the various ideas to speed up the game  produces more kicking anyway & also contributes to more lost ball out of hand (knock ons & hurried & bad passes)  which don't help the spectacle.It is difficult to start in your own half with ball in hand & score a try without a kick being involved so we finish up with more turnover ball & the other side doing exactly what we have done. It seems that one of the main plays nowadays is to get your opponent driven back as close  to their try line as possible & see how far they progress up field with the ball.

I agree 100% with Safeway --the game is not the same any more -far too much lying on at the play the ball,offside,high tackles going un-punished not to mention the standard of the referees-the game is on the decline in my eyes.

i am only glad i havent got a season ticket (saints) i have not yet been to Langtree Park yet and have no intention of going . 8)

As an oldie, i would love to see a return to former days when backs had the chance to run.  The modern game is certainly blood and thunder - and perhaps? overly brutal - which may be restricted when someone is eventually killed or seriously injured.  What Westwood had to put up with is not sport.

Complaining about referees will still be on the go fifty years hence, just as it was fifty years ago.  In my opinion they are far better now than they used to be when the game was much slower; less brutal; and with less professional? play.(and of course endless replays).

Happy days

Paid a visit to my nicotine device supplier this afternoon which is about 200 yards from the stadium...He is aware that the devices have been banned at the HJ...He told me he had been visited by somebody from the club attempting to sell him some pitchside advertising....He told this person where to go in no uncertain terms...Banning them and then attempting to advertise them. They've got a brass neck and a face which would stand a good clogging(as my grandad used to say).