Sankey Green.... Then & Now

Bazj

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Incidentally, does anyone know if the Bank Quay Working Mens Mission is anything to do with Crosfields?

I understand that the Crosfield family were Quakers, and became involved when their workers wanted a place of recreation - but members of the Crosfield family were instrumental in funding the non-comformist school in Thewlis Street, at a time when the education of the children of the working classes was discouraged by certain Warrington people.

There is a book - 'Enterprise in Soap and Chemicals: Joseph Crosfield & Sons, Limited 1815-1965' by A. E. Musson, part of which can be seen here

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=TsG8AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&dq=enterprise+in+soap+and+chemicals:+joseph+crosfield+%26+sons+ltd&source=bl&ots=sHDKA-U3Jd&sig=V8lr3UBGLut0n7o1K6B7e6nos0w&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yegCVejbIqGO7Aa094DoCg&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=enterprise%20in%20soap%20and%20chemicals%3A%20joseph%20crosfield%20%26%20sons%20ltd&f=false  

The Chapter 'Paternalism and Politics' starts at page 121.

Long after Crosfield's left Warrington, they continued to contribute generously to the funds of the Mission, which still survives.

• 2 years later...

Dear 'GUEST' ... you  'reported' this topic thread to Admin (32 minutes ago) and as such it has flagged up to us.  Unfortuantely as you did not leave any comment as to WHY you are reporting it we have no idea why.  Having looked through the entire thread there is nothing that we can see than warrants it being reported especially as it is an old thread from 2013.

As you have reported it in a 'GUEST' capacity we have no way of contacting you either to ask you why.  You could join as a member though and that way we could discuss it further. 

ADMIN

Oooh yes now there's a thought ...... :wink:  

I'm glad they reported it though as I read through all the posts and there some from the lovely Harry Hayes who sadly is no longer with us:( 

Harry was such a lovely gent and always brought a smile to my face with his posts especially when he posted his memories and and of course his lovely poems.  He always ended his posts with the words 'Happy Days' and he certainly made a lot of 'Happy Days' over this lifetime and time on here too.  I really miss Harry :( 

I'm sure he's looking down on us all though...and thinking 'gawd they are all at it again..where's my old truncheon' ha ha

• 5 years later...