Trojan

wolfie

A new Trojan horse called Mal/JavaJar-B has been found that exploits a vulnerability in Oracle's Java 7 and affects even the latest version of the runtime (7u10). The malware has currently been seen attacking Windows, Linux and Unix systems.

The Department of Homeland Security said attackers could trick targets into visiting malicious websites that would infect their PCs with software capable of exploiting the bug in Java. An attacker could also infect a legitimate website by uploading malicious software that would infect machines of computer users who trust that site because they have previously visited it without experiencing any problems.

Developers of several popular hacker tools, known as exploit kits, used to attack PCs, have added software that allows hackers to exploit the newly discovered bug in Java to attack computers.

Don't know how legit this is but it may be worth finding out if you have Java on your machine.

Oooh I was hoping you were going to say it was a scam warning.  Im still on IE 8 and XP and Java is enabled in the IE security bit as I just checked.

I can't update it though as it is just a tick box but I could disable it.  Eek will my internet still work if I do though? 

Might just leave it until tomorrow and do a full backup of all my files and more importantly my photo's just incase.

Hey could be a good excuse for a new PC at long last though as my little beastie is about 8 years old now :wink:

Dizz, I'm sure you should be able to update it, bottom task bar, left of screen windows logo, clk then type in the search box - java control, open up, on displayed - java control panel clk - update, bottom of new page clk - update and this should update to java v11, be patient it takes a few minutes to update.

i'm on Windows 7, but it should be a similar procedure.

Your PC is 8 years old, that is good going, the processor usual starts degrading after 5 years.

I have updated my java to version 11, but reading the articles about his virus all it seems to do is set tyhe security setting to very high.

I do think this is a genuine "threat" but nearly all the articles I have looked at have a ad for you to install some sophos software to check for it. Being a tad suspicious I do wonder if some of these viruses are not deliberate to sell anti virus software.

Oh well next job is to fire up my laptop and update that.

Your PC is 8 years old, that is good going, the processor usual starts degrading after 5 years.

Anything with electricity running through it will age, but if you are using the PC to do the same as what you have always used it for the processor will last a very long time.

Anything with electricity running through it will age, but if you are using the PC to do the same as what you have always used it for the processor will last a very long time.

Very profound Wolfie!, everything will age, the passage of time and has that effect. :wink::D