Ident this photo .(not a Quiz)

arty69uk

Your correct arty the factory is North West Farmers Mersey Mill (NFM on the tower) with the river entrance to Howley Lock on the left, the building on the other side of the river will be the back of one of the terraced houses backing on to the river bank in Knutsford road.

Algy.. You must be correct but I have this feeling that it is to high as though its on a hill! I lived for a few years almost opposite the wier and Knutsford road going to Warrington was a flat road we called the narrows and the area was as today FLAT.(.Life is so deceiving) cheers art.

Algy.. You must be correct but I have this feeling that it is to high as though its on a hill! I lived for a few years almost opposite the wier and Knutsford road going to Warrington was a flat road we called the narrows and the area was as today FLAT.(.Life is so deceiving) cheers art.

Tides probably out arty, look at the normal high water mark on the right bank also were you young when you lived there, if so things always looked massive when we were kids. Was Moores chippy there then as I used to knock about wih Derek, going back to 1950 now though. :wink:

Hi. I am not well up on this, so I cannot add anything personally to the discussion, but I do have a similar photo and it's titled "Fairclough's Mill next to the Black Bear canal" So if you say it is what you say it is, I will re-title the photo I have. I must be honest, I had my doubts when I first obtained the image I have, as it does look more like a river than a canal!

I always thought that was called Fairclough’s flourmill but it does say NWF on the building? Maybe the name changed later or maybe Faircloughs was the white building right next to it? I suppose you could say it’s near the old Black Bear Canal but this is definitely the Mersey. From memory if we were to move along a bit there was a power station then some kind of loading area, I think associated with a rubber company.

All now just distant memories for me.

Bill :)

Hi. I am not well up on this, so I cannot add anything personally to the discussion, but I do have a similar photo and it's titled "Fairclough's Mill next to the Black Bear canal" So if you say it is what you say it is, I will re-title the photo I have. I must be honest, I had my doubts when I first obtained the image I have, as it does look more like a river than a canal!

middlec, Faircloughs was further down river at Athertons Quay, next to Bank Quay.

middlec, Faircloughs Flour Mill was further down river at Bank Quay.

BankQuayFaircloughsFlourMillwithoneoftheirtwobargeseitherPaneryorPater.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi All, I used to attend Dickey flour bags/ aka, Richard Fairclough's school so named after the Fairclough family, 

that is still located (although no longer a school now and industrial site), right on the side of the Black bear canal and the black bear bridge that carries Knutsford rd.between Warrington and the south. as I recall the building right across the canal from the school by the bridge was a basket weaving factory next door to that was the Black bear inn.

if I was on the top floor of the school I could see Fairclough flour mills building and to the best of my recollection their name was on the building right next to the NWF building, further along past Fairclough's mill right on the bend was Bishops wharf 

where they loaded hides, rolls of paper and other commodities. just behind Fairclough's mill was  Howley power station

re the buildings on the right of the picture yes you are correct I believe they where the old two story terraced houses. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...