Name that Pub!.

algy

Hi and welcome to the forum and the madness Grappenhall Guy :D

It's a hard one that's for sure and I was going to guess at the Appleton Thorn but mmmm is it in Grappenhall by any chance?

The prize for whoever get's it is now a pint from the landlord :wink::lol:

Arty, well done! Rams head it is, I don't know whether you can make it out but the Landlords name was Alfred Chaplin and I believe the chap with the basket was delivering pies. :wink:

Welcome to the forum Grappenhall Guy!. If you are from Grappenhall you may get the next one, hopefully upload it within the next twenty minutes.:D

Well I think the landlord now owes us ALL a drink (especially me) as that was mean as and he certainly threw me by saying...

... it has changed a little,but I am the present landlord of these premises.

Changed a little Mr Landlord? Oooh you little bugger it's nothing like that now :P

Do you have any other old photo's of your pub, you should upload some if you have as they would be good to see.

PS Well done Arty :D

I forgot to ask... what is the approx date of that picture Algy/GG ? Also any idea when the newer one was built as I always thought it was really old.

The existing Rams Head was built in 1893 so I would have thought any time previous to that as they pulled the old place down and built the new one in it's place but further back from the road.

This a a better photo than the first one I uploaded, I had forgotten I had it.

GrappenhalltheoldRamsHead.jpg

As you can see the cottages to the left of the pub still remain in 1910. Interesting to note that there is a sign over the cottage doorway, usually stating that the premisses are licensed to sell tobacco indicating that this was the village shop, which makes sense to me as the house built on the site of that shop next to and to the left of the Rams Head used to have a large shop window in it when I first came to Grappenhall in 1961, and was bricked up a few years later to turn it into a house.

GrappenhallVillagec1910.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but is there any way of seeing the photos? Do you have any idea of the time the photo was taken with Alfred Chaplin?

Alfred Chaplin was my husbands great grandfather, but it was his father Frederick Chaplin, that was the licensed publican in the 1881 census with his wife Mary. By December of 1885 Mary had died and sadly 10 days later Frederick died too. So I'm wondering if this photo was taken between 1886 and 1900. In 1891 Alfred was  a barman, boarding at a property in Widnes (but he could have just been visiting). By 1901 he was married and living in Latchford.

Hi genaddict and welcome to the forum :D 

I have a copy of the photo which shows the old Rams Head with the  licensee Alfred Chaplin which Algy kindly gave me so here it is. 

Reading back through the posts has dated it as being before 1893 as the new one was built then.  I don't know any more about it though but Algy or Grappenhall Guy may do.

CLICK on photo to enlarge it.....

Grappenhall%20the%20old%20Rams%20Head%20

Genaddict, Dizzy beat me to it, as you can see it clearly displays Alfred Chaplin's name as lisencee above the door. I'm not sure anyone can be certain of the exact date that the photo was taken and as a descendant you may have more information than we do.

That's fantastic. Thankyou to you all. I reckon Alfred must have taken over after the death of his parents in Dec 1885.

Bit of a daft question but, does the church have headstones in its grounds? I might have to go and see if I can find anything for Frederick and Mary. All the records say is that they were buried in Grappenhall.

That's great, thank you. I'll have to come over and have a look round.

Frederick and Mary musn't have been at The Rams Head long, they were in Grappenhall in 1871 but it just lists the address as Village, he was a Butler. In 81 he was licensee at the pub. My next mission as well as finding headstones is to get death certs, I am intrigued in their deaths. Was there an accident, both ill at the same time or something else??? Well whatever it was the Chaplin name continues in Irlam now. :P