Billy's Weekly Liar.

algy

Does anyone on the forum remember the 'mock' funny newspaper called 'Billy's Weekly Liar' sold in Blackpool, I remember my dad bringing it home after a trip. it kept me entertained for hours when I was a lad.

Articles in it read as such:-

'Man kicked to death by spiders'

'Unconscious skeleton found on beach.'

There has been a terrible plane crash on a cemetery in Ireland. They reckoned one thousand, three hundred and seventy eight bodies had been recovered so far.

A highly dangerous midget fortune teller had assaulted a guard by head butting him in the privates and was on the run from prison.'Small Medium at Large'

A pub landlord refused to serve a Gypsy because he had been told by his bank manager that under no circumstances must he accept traveler's cheques.

-and so on.

I've never heard of it but it sounds a great fun 'newspaper' :lol: They should start one again maybe on a Sunday :wink: Are there any copies available online as i'd love to read some.

Perhaps we could have a local version called 'Warrington's Weekly Liar'.

Life needs some fun and humour in it.. although the Warrington one may actually turn out to be truthful the way things alwas go round here 8)

Funds permitting, I used to buy a programme and Billy's weekly liar from a separate salesman outside Wilderspool stadium on match days. (as well as apparently being "about to meet my doom".)

Re Dizzy's comments - almost any paper makes a suitable substitute these days - In the BWL time, they used to report news)

Happy days

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I never read a copy of this, but a mate said that this new book, 'Forgotten Lancashire (and Parts of `Cheshire and the Wirral', which is a spoof history book, is just like Billy's Weekly Liar. It is very funny.

I've never heard of it but it sounds a great fun 'newspaper' :lol: They should start one again maybe on a Sunday :wink: Are there any copies available online as i'd love to read some.

Perhaps we could have a local version called 'Warrington's Weekly Liar'.

Life needs some fun and humour in it.. although the Warrington one may actually turn out to be truthful the way things alwas go round here 8)

I remember it. It used to be on sale in Warrington. :huh:

I also remember a family aquaintance who, on a visit, sat telling stories of things he had supposed to have been doing. After he left papa remarked, rather disbeleivingly, "Ha! Billy's Weekly Liar!" :)

I remember it well!, don't remember it being on sale in Warrington though Cleo, we used to get a copy when we went to Blackpool. :unsure:

As i posted earlier, after the war it was always on sale outside Wilderspool stadium on match days and also at newsagents. Together with the 2d programme it made good reading at matches.

I can well remember reading it on the train to Manchester. My memory is a little vague, but it tells me I bought it on the Central station newsagents, which was near the snack bar/ small restaurant - or was the newsagent on the Liverpool side?

Happy days

on a recent day out i happened to call into "bygone times" at gt-eccleston it is a massive old warehouse with scores of stalls -you can buy anything there and on sale were a pile of "billys weekly liar comics"

i will be going again soon i will see if they are still there.

• Upvote 1

Is that the one up near Preston? We went there many years ago and it was fa ascinating place but last time we passed (again a long time ago) it was really expensive to get in so we didn't bother. Would love to go again if the price is right.

If you do go Arty snap up a couple and let us know what's in them as they sound great fun.... guess they weren't the ones Ken Dodd needed copies of though unless he got too many and passed them on :wink:

Dated 2003 ..... http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2003/07/14/3311/dodd

it isnt Preston Dizz --in fact its close to chorley take the Standish turn off turn left for 100yds then cross over and head on about 2 miles into the village and "bygone times" is on the left--the best time to go is wednesdays they have a pensioners day i think £2 admission.

i forgot --hthere is a comic on line just google SPOOF a similar comic to billys weekly liar. enough for to-night manyana :unsure:

I vaguely remember Billy's Weekly Liar from my holidays in Blackpool. But I had to ask my older brother for the real detail. He remembers it well, and reckons that each year they only ever produced two issues (Week 1 and Week 2) as the audience was primarily holidaymakers who were there for (at most) a fortnight! They would sell them in rotation over the season - a clever idea!

It's surprising there isn't much about it on tinternet.