Looking for GI Brides and Burtonwood connections?

Gary

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I am new to the site and hope I am doing this right....!!!!

Here goes.....!!!!

I am looking for ANYONE who worked at Burtonwood PX or Switchboard 1949/55

Also GI Brides. I wasn't one, but knew several girls who were and would love to be in touch with them.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I get some results....Thanks.

Peg Baby

Hi Peg, I worked at the PX snack-bar l948-49.Then a G.I.Bride. Very home-sick so my husband brought us home many years ago. Warrington still a great town. Did you know the Mannion sisters;Kathy Allen(Achille)Beattie James? My sisters-in-law;Arva lives in Arizona,Millie in Vacaville California. Hope to visit them again soon. Best wishes, Marjorie Birdno.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

I'm interested to see if anyone knew my Dad or Mum. He was stationed at Burtonwood in 1948 to 1951 then after going to Thule went back to England at Upper Heyford RAF Station 7562d Air Base Squadron in 1954. His name was Zon Proctor and was from North Carolina.

My mum's name was Rosemary Trenholme and she was from Birkenhead. If anyone remembers either of them, or just know the area, please write. I'm very familiar with the UK and have family there. Thanks Patsi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this isn?t related to the GI?s but it is connected to Burtonwood. My mother and her 2 sisters were born at Domville Farm, Cow Lane, which was on the edge of Burtonwood. Also Six Smiths Farm was owned by the Baguley family (my grandmothers family)

Sadly last year I tried to find Domville?s Farm but couldn?t find it as the whole area seems to have been redeveloped. I recall in the late 50?s visiting Domville?s Farm and by accident I passed the property in the 90?s and thought next time I will take my camera to take a photo. Since then I have from time to time whilst visiting my mothers grave at Great Sankey and cutting across the Burtonwood area tried to find the house but with all the new roads have not found it. I decided to take a trip last year to search in earnest so I could take a photo to put with my family tree. But it appears the farm house has gone. Would anyone know anything about it or have a photo. Going back to Six Smiths Farm, I am told this was taken over for the officers on the base and its situation was actually on the base, maybe someone can clarify this. If anyone should have any information I would be most grateful.

• 1 month later...

My father (Russell Coe) was at Burtonwood around 44-49. He met and married a local girl (Ilma Wright). When I was born we lived with my grandparents for a while on St. Mary St. in Warrington,then moved to Stanley Ave in Stockton Heath. My grandparents were Albert/Gertrude wright. He was the minister at Kent St. Mission for many years and at one point was the Chaplain to the Mayor of Warrington. Would anyone remember any of these names?

Royce Coe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally posted by Royce Ian:

My father (Russell Coe) was at Burtonwood around 44-49. He met and married a local girl (Ilma Wright). When I was born we lived with my grandparents for a while on St. Mary St. in Warrington,then moved to Stanley Ave in Stockton Heath. My grandparents were Albert/Gertrude wright. He was the minister at Kent St. Mission for many years and at one point was the Chaplain to the Mayor of Warrington. Would anyone remember any of these names?

Royce Coe

I went to Kent Street Mission on Friday, we were told that the Kent Street Mission church is actually built on an old building works which was owned by the Wrights before being turned into Kent Street Mission, it was also quite sad that their are only now about 6 people turning up to this church (except on Friday when most of the Warrington Gang Show and Scouts all turned up at the church to pay their last respects to Eddie Burton, a brilliant organist and human being who played the organ for 35 years in the Warrington Gang Show, and also outside of the Gang Show helped to keep the church going, hopefully even though he's gone the church will find a way to carry on).

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

My Dad worked at Burtonwood air base as a fireman during the 50's.  Not sure of the exact dates but I think he was there until the Americans left whenever that was.   I remember him taking us there a couple of times. Once was for an air show and Prince Philip was there and another time for nothing in particular but that was when we met quite a few American airman and I had my first 7Up. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...