Furniture Shop

Latchford Locks

Are you sure it was next to the Packet House and not on the other side of the road Latchy?  I remember a big furniture shop being opposite that sold all sorts of furniture and household goods, carpets too I think.   I'm my mind it was the co-op house furnishing shop but maybe I've got the co-op bit wrong. 

I remember going in it with my mum just for a look around quite a lot when I was young although she never bought anything.  It was there for years though as years later I went with my other half's mum too. 

It may well have been the co-op furnishing shop there dizz. The co-op in warrington had three places in town. the main store in sankey street that sold ladies clothing and food. a small shop down the side of that that was the gentlemen's outfitters, off the peg or made to measure suits. and the furnitures and carpets which i am sure is the one you mean in bridge street.

think the one in sankey street also had a separate office attached where you went to get your "divi" totted up and paid out.

Ooh that brings back memories that does.My first school uniform bought at the co-op gents outfitters, well the blazer anyway. my first suit of sorts,Dark blue velvet coat  with mid blue trousers and a pair of four inch platform shoes.Only got the shoes as my girlfriend of the time said they made me look good. what they made me look was six foot four, she was five foot even.talk about little and large. Think the shoes lasted about a week and three twisted ankles.(the girlfriend about another four weeks.)

Cannot remember there being a furniture shop on the packet house side though and it was somewhere i passed on a daily basis on my way to school, but then at that age homework and finding excuses not to do PE was uppermost on my mind at that time.

No it was definitely next door to the Packet House where the former job agency was recently before it closed last year.

The shop I am on about closed around 1979 after the owner had some kind of brush with the law.

And eventually re opened at the back of Woolworths  opposite The Hamlet Nightclub(or whatever name it traded under in 1980)

1 minute ago, Latchford Locks said:

YES !!!!

Thats the one.

Blimey how did you work that one out :)

I remember them being at the back of Woolworths. Didn't realise they had a shop on Bridge Street though!!

Kelly's...got quite a few items off him when i first  got married. The stuff he sold was ok  for the price but he never seemed to record any payments you made, you just had to tell him you had paid the debt off & everybody was happy.

1 hour ago, Davy51 said:

Kelly's...got quite a few items off him when i first  got married. The stuff he sold was ok  for the price but he never seemed to record any payments you made, you just had to tell him you had paid the debt off & everybody was happy.

Blimey..

You are spot on

I sometimes  went in the shop with the Wife to pay and I remember he just shoved the money in his pocket... said thanks,see you next week.

And that was it.

You have definitely jogged some (one) of my ageing memory cells :D

Believe it or not i have still got a three piece wardrobe set of his from the mid 70s. It isn't big enough for too many clothes especially when your wife insists you need more clothes almost weekly ,but is being used as a glory hole in the spare bedroom....ideal for Christmas (is it ok to say that word ?) decs & other assorted junk.

look after it davy that sort of retro furniture is on the up at present and could be worth twice what you paid for it at the time. You only have to watch money for nothing to see that. Ercol chairs rescued from the skip with a coat of cheap paint added on and then  sold for silly prices.