Fire destroys Iconic Hive at Risley Reserve

Geoffrey Settle

Well schools out and the idiots are out on the lose.

I've just seen the photos of the burnt out Iconic Risley Hive that looked like a space ship, following Gary's report of a fire - these have been posted by the Cheshire Fire Brigade - a link to them is below.

This hive had fantastic views out across the SSSI and was arguably one of the best hive in the country.

There have been reports recently of other attacks - but they still returned and got in.

I hope these idiots are identified - please report any information if you know who may have started the fire please call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or Cheshire

Chair of the Warrington Nature Conservation Forum.

sadly Geoff even if they were caught in the act they would not even get a slap on the wrist or even a stern talking to. and if they did their mothers would no doubt take to social media going on about the way their little cherubs who have never even crossed the road without obeying all the rules were being persecuted and any way it wasn't them it was the others they were with who did it.

Perhaps it is time the judicial system started to get a bit tougher with these totally innocent little Herberts. Fine them by all means but then immediately go to their homes and seize goods to the value of the fine and also to cover the costs of the damage plus court costs. another alternative would be to make them attend an eight hour a day ten week course during the school holidays where they are sat in a room and forced to watch endless repeats of a welsh eisteddfod without subtitles. after which they had to write a hundred page report on the merits of choirs over harp recitals. unfortunately this would probably come under cruel and unusual punishment.

Cruel, yes Unusual certainly. Punishment definitely, unless you are into eisteddfod's :lol:

• Upvote 1

What makes you think it might be school kids Geoff? Were there any witnesses?  The fire at Mr Smiths was blamed on kids – but they were found to be innocent.
What motives could there be in burning down this viewing platform?

Maybe it's some old grumpy 70 year old with a grudge against Rilsey Moss and a total lack of understanding about what the reserve is all about.

There has been a lot of activity on the site recently that has quickly been escalated, a hive set on fire, an information sign trashed but thanks to a dedicated Ranger has been restored. Perhaps it's a coincidence that it's the start of the school holidays and that we are seeing a daily appearance of a red fire engine on WWW. 12.15 this morning of another suspected fire this time of a caravan. It's the fire season.

This has nothing to do with Mr Smiths but if you have information that the police and fire can use to further their investigation please let the police know - there are details of contacts on the thread above and also on the WNCF web site - you don't have to give your name.

I remember the fire attacks on the John Parr Meadow fields a few years ago of the fire brigade putting the fires out, I even found the remains of a burnt out blue bin in the woods that had been dragged 1/4 of a mile before being set alight - I know this because the PCSO pointed out in the embers and address of the bin owner. Gary still uses the photos I took when the youths did torch the fields by the meadow. The investigation will hopefully reveal more but as you indicate without 100% proof whoever did it will get away so hopefully the good people of Birchwood will have seen some activity and/or the access points discovered to give an indication of how they got in. 

A lot of people get a lot of pleasure out of this and other SSSI reserves in Warrington and it would be sad it this kind of thing spreads and whoever did it gets educated in what nature is all about, maybe they can take part in rebuilding the viewing platform.

As a Steering Group Member of the Mersey Forest I think that it's not a good way to start the Summer. The reserve closes at 5pm week days and the firefighters report attendance at 7.15pm - given that there is a security fence surrounding the complex this must have been a deliberate fire or somrthing that went badly wrong. The smoke could be seen from Winwick Leisure Community Centre!

Hopefully if they do find whoever is responsible, they won't use that "restorative Justice" nonsense that is currently the topic of a news story on the main site. No, if they do find them, they should be made an example of and banged up for 10 years with no parole.... and that goes for anyone setting fires, thieving or attacking someone. About time the country woke up to the fact that this soft on criminals rubbish has bred a generation who have no respect for things that others care about and certainly no respect for the law or the consequences of their actions

• Upvote 1

Geoff, I asked the question under the news story (that you had also commented under) asking if you knew how much it would cost to replace.

With you not replying maybe you didn't see my reply and question hence me posting it again here.

The WG reported that it will cost £200k to replace.....really?.... but as I said in my comment under news on here I suspect they [the WG] may have got that wrong as you could build a lovely new brick built family home for that much. Maybe they put an extra ‘0’ by mistake and meant £20k. Any idea ?

I realise that people are donating/fund raising for money to replace it but it would help to know just how much is needed. 

Perhaps local businesses could help too, I'm sure some of the bigger DIY stores and builders merchants etc might donate some of the wood & other materials needed and there must be a lot of people in the town with woodworking or building skills who would probably give some of their own time to help rebuild it.  

It would be very community spirited and bring people together too if it was all hands on deck :D 

3 hours ago, Dizzy said:

Geoff, I asked the question under the news story (that you had also commented under) asking if you knew how much it would cost to replace.

With you not replying maybe you didn't see my reply and question hence me posting it again here.

The WG reported that it will cost £200k to replace.....really?.... but as I said in my comment under news on here I suspect they [the WG] may have got that wrong as you could build a lovely new brick built family home for that much. Maybe they put an extra ‘0’ by mistake and meant £20k. Any idea ?

I realise that people are donating/fund raising for money to replace it but it would help to know just how much is needed. 

Perhaps local businesses could help too, I'm sure some of the bigger DIY stores and builders merchants etc might donate some of the wood & other materials needed and there must be a lot of people in the town with woodworking or building skills who would probably give some of their own time to help rebuild it.  

It would be very community spirited and bring people together too if it was all hands on deck :D 

Dizzy - I've no idea I suppose depending on the design it could be less (if there was insurance cover) or it could be more than £200k but it must be in keeping with the surroundings. If local business can make a contribution that's great but there is the cost of clearing up and assessing what happened first.

Given what has happened is must be more resistant to attack and protected from attack which as we see more and more these days is proving very difficult.

Ideally it should be of wooden construction, maybe with a sprinkler system, cctv that is backed up off site, maybe a moat surrounding it and locked up after 5pm.... but where does that leave us if we go down that path? The idea is to get people interested in nature not put them off it.

I do hope that WBC take on board input from Risley Moss Action Group (RIMAG) and Mersey Forest (MF) and the Ranger Service, three very well informed and passionate people who live and breathe this SSSI site.

Richard Jone's fund raising page total has just gone past the £1,500 from nearly 100 donations so a lot of people want to help. I'm not sure who he is but if anyone knows let me know.