Western Link 6 Routes to chose from or none, what's your colour?

Geoffrey Settle

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, asperity said:

A database of Warrington pubs gives the date of 1825 for the Sloop Inn, making it nearly 200 years old. I walk past it frequently but, for some reason, I've never actually been in.

I might pay a visit, strictly for research purposes you understand :D

I wonder if it's the original building.  Right go and do some research...and a have a pint for me while you are in there ha ha :wink:

6 hours ago, Dizzy said:

I wonder if it's the original building.  Right go and do some research...and a have a pint for me while you are in there ha ha :wink:

I am reliably informed it is not a Listed Building and the owners will not be fighting to keep it open - so I think it is pretty much time for everyone to pop along for a fond farewell pint before it is too late.

7 hours ago, Gary said:

I am reliably informed it is not a Listed Building and the owners will not be fighting to keep it open - so I think it is pretty much time for everyone to pop along for a fond farewell pint before it is too late.

Are you buying Gary? :lol::wink:

Who owns it?  Is it a pub chain or an independent owner, do you know Gary? 
I am told  that a lot of the land and businesses along the now chosen route were bought up some years back for way above market value at the time.  Some that has businesses on it were/are still rented out but on a year by year lease term...sort of like the new owner(s) were just biding their time until certain plans finally came to light.  Can't say I blame whoever was buying it up though as now with compulsory purchase and the likes their over payment back in the day will deffo have raised significantly for what they will get for it all now.  Bugger why didn't I buy some...ahh yes I remember now it's cos I didn't have foresight, some divine intervention, inside knowledge and a big wad of cash  :rolleyes:  :wink:   All very interesting though but I've said enough as any more could be seen as libelous.... :wink:

16 hours ago, Davy51 said:

Dizzy, you need to find newts in the area or enlist some of the fracking protesters from Preston.

:lol::lol: Well you never know.....:lol:

To be honest though I've never been in the pub and it's not near me so I guess if it's flattened I wont really loose any sleep over it...but I will whinge for years that another lovely chatacter OLD building has been lost forever.  There are newts at the Walton end of the new proposed bridge/road route though as that's quite open ground being close to Moorely Common and the old river part of which still has water in it.   There's a lot of wildlife round there to be honest but some species  I wont mention on here because I fear they will be killed if word gets about :( 

On 9/16/2017 at 2:36 AM, Dizzy said:

Are you buying Gary? :lol::wink:

Who owns it?  Is it a pub chain or an independent owner, do you know Gary? 
I am told  that a lot of the land and businesses along the now chosen route were bought up some years back for way above market value at the time.  Some that has businesses on it were/are still rented out but on a year by year lease term...sort of like the new owner(s) were just biding their time until certain plans finally came to light.  Can't say I blame whoever was buying it up though as now with compulsory purchase and the likes their over payment back in the day will deffo have raised significantly for what they will get for it all now.  Bugger why didn't I buy some...ahh yes I remember now it's cos I didn't have foresight, some divine intervention, inside knowledge and a big wad of cash  :rolleyes:  :wink:   All very interesting though but I've said enough as any more could be seen as libelous.... :wink:

Punch Taverns