What's she got to do ?

observer

On 6/30/2017 at 3:46 PM, Davy51 said:

Apparently,aluminium cladding with a plastic core was used on Grenfel Tower to save £300 k so somebody will be held to account.

There is a difference between saving taxpayers money on cladding a building using products that had supposedly been tested and were on an approved list of materials that could be used and deliberately using a material that was banned and known to be flammable 

Being "held to account" after the fact when in all possibility the person who specified or allowed the materials to be used was doing so with the best intentions may be a little hard to prove.

Yes the fire was a massive tragedy and a wake up call for designers and architects, but if you were able to shave 300 grand off a project by using a product that "looked the same" and was supposedly approved for the job (and by the looks of the test results after the event, was used previously on over a hundred other tower blocks) why wouldn't you if you weren't aware of the potential dangers you were allowing to be installed?

Think we've discovered that nothing is entirely fire proof,  but the issue of cladding is that it by-passes the compartmentalisation of the building. I believe it should have "fire stops" fitted, between floors; but I have to question it's use at all, in the first place.     :ph34r:

2 hours ago, observer said:

Think we've discovered that nothing is entirely fire proof,  but the issue of cladding is that it by-passes to compartmentalisation of the building. I believe it should have "fire stops" fitted, between floors; but I have to question it's use at all, in the first place.     :ph34r:

The heavy hand of the EU regulators is all over this in the name of energy conservation/climate change.

... and now the criticisms extend to the Fire Service, saying it took half an hour before turntable ladders arrived at the scene; clearly these idiots haven't compared the maximum extension of a TTL against the height of a multi storey building.  Such fires are fought from INSIDE these buildings using internal water supplies from dry riser systems (if fitted).   An internal dry sprinkler system, throughout the building, fed by the FB, could have helped. But the external cladding was clearly the cause of the accelerated fire spread, and other than external wall drenchers, would be inaccessible to fire crews.  So basically, the moral of the storey is don't use cladding at all.   :ph34r:

The external insulation and the choice of windows as well as the firebreaks are what I would look at. So far all they have looked at is the weather-screen cladding on the outside. The story of someone trying to open the window to get rid of smoke and finding the window frame melting seems terrifying.

They supposed to have enclosed staircases, with fire separation from the rest of the building; but these are unlikely to help a disabled person given a tenancy at the top.  Until cladding was introduced, fire spread was restricted within such buildings due to compartmentalisation, so most fires would be confined to the room/flat of origin.    :ph34r:

..... and we now have criticism of the FB advise to tenants to stay put, in the building. This is standard advice based on the expectation that compartmentalisation will confine a fire to a single unit.   However, those in the building probably wouldn't see it, but those they may have been in phone contact with, outside the building would have seen the rate of fire spread via the cladding. In which case, common sense would dictate evacuation of the building. Sometimes folk have to think for themselves.    :ph34r:

All well and good having a procedure for evacuation, but that assumes that all the residents are familiar with it. Given the likely turnover of residents in a rented accommodation block, even a small one, how many would be familiar with what to do in event of a fire or similar or be even aware that there was such a procedure. How many of the "letting agents" staff would know the procedure or be aware there was one and pass it on to the new tenant.

Last thing on anybodies mind when moving into such a place would be what to do if the place was on fire. Where the nearest shops are, what the bus routes are, can i get the furniture up the stairs etc. Very few would be thinking about the quickest way out in an emergency apart from jumping out the window.

Considering we are currently in the EU & are welcoming all & sundry to our shores to work in the black economy & plunder our benefits i would expect most flats carry some form of multi lingual  basic instruction notice.

If i go on holiday to Spain ,the first notice i see next to the fuse box is advising of the rules of the apartment/hotel including emergency procedures & all breakages will be paid for.

I don't think I have ever done that in any building I have been in :(  I will now though.

I was in the Golden Square today and wouldn't even have know how to get out of there other than through the main exits....are there other exit routes ?  

As for getting out of Ikea in an emergency situation......time to take note when I next go there as it takes me forever to find my way about in the calm never mind trying to get out in a hurry !!!