Candidate General Election Question

If people are voting on national policy then government housing policy and legislation re greenbelt and green field land will certainly be a consideration.

Most people will base their decisions on how they think 'national policy' will eventually effect them personally.

The old, disabled & sick will obviously be especially concerned with protection of the National Health,  low paid, unskilled workers depending on what industry they are in may be mostly concerned about increasing immigration possibly leading to even lower wages.

For people with well paid stable careers, who are living in £500,000+ houses in leafy urban areas, the threat of losing what they have worked for and the prospect of ending up with negative equity will naturally be a priority concern.  

Getting back to the topic.  My question would be;  

"Why are all political parties so secretive about what the 'Northern Powerhouse' project really is and how safe is EMMA?"

The answer to this will be important and not just to residents of S. Warrington who live on the doorstep of the Daresbury demon - because if EMMA 'blows her top' all of the North West and beyond will be affected!

On the issue of one's house paying for elderly care (above £100,000); as I understand it; the care cost would be extracted from the individual's estate when they die, so they aren't losing anything - their dead (NO POCKETS IN SHROUDS ETC).  Those that will be affected are the relatives, circling for the inheritance, so in effect, the inheritance would be being paid for by the tax-payer without such a policy.    :ph34r:   

1 hour ago, asperity said:

Who, or what, is EMMA?

EMMA is the ?Particle? Accelerator up at Daresbury Labs Asp.  It's the first one if it's kind in the world apparently as it's a non-scaling FFAG (Fixed Field, Alternating Gradient) accelerator.  Pretty clever stuff...in a scarey sort of way to some.

Surely you have heard of it with it being right on our doorstep....   

12 hours ago, Dizzy said:

EMMA is the ?Particle? Accelerator up at Daresbury Labs Asp.  It's the first one if it's kind in the world apparently as it's a non-scaling FFAG (Fixed Field, Alternating Gradient) accelerator.  Pretty clever stuff...in a scarey sort of way to some.

Thanks Dizzy, consider me suitably informed :D

I've had leaflets from Conservatives and Libdims. Labour must be keeping their powder dry until nearer June 9th.

3 hours ago, Gary said:

I woulkd ask them - why don't you all bang your heads together, put aside your differences and simply work for the good of the people?

That's a bit too radical Gary - may be the Rock God candidate could liven things up as its gone very f!at - maybe A whole lotta Love on the political turntable just for spin ?

16 hours ago, Dizzy said:

As good an example of 'exclusionary detailing' as could be found in any political manifesto! 

Asp asked who or what is EMMA?

EMMA is the Electron Machine with Many Applications.

http://www.thegwpf.com/meet-emma-shes-going-to-save-the-world-and-cure-cancer/ This is generally a glorified report but does include the wording;

"It could even be adapted to ‘burn’ existing, stockpiled uranium waste in its core, thus enormously reducing its radioactive half-life and toxicity"

The link with 'curing cancer' is that data from the EMMA project is being used to create PAMELA - the Particle Accelerator for Medical Applications

Whatever the 'many applications' of EMMA include, the priority certainly appears to be Nuclear Waste Disposal.

An explanation In very simple terms is that, nuclear waste is whizzed around at extremely high speed, during the course of which extra power is extracted and residual waste is reduced.

It appears that Warrington is to become a Nuclear Waste Recycling Centre, - not just for Britain but the world - and all these promised future jobs for our young people will in effect be for 'shovelling nuclear **** '.

Much further in the future EMMA is said to be expected to play a part in progressing Thorium as an alternative power source.

Whatever, there are some scientists with very serious concerns about the safety of EMMA.

If you google around Asp there is plenty to find.

there are some scientists with very serious concerns about the safety of EMMA.

There were some who said if you travelled on trains at over 30mph your head would explode. The problem with anything that includes the words NUCEAR in any of it's descriptions is that people immediately think of the atomic bomb and the devastation that they caused. Nuclear does not always mean BIG BANG half of the northwest goes south. There is probably more nuclear material in your average dentist than at Daresbury Laboratory.

Agreed the chance of being killed in a nuclear related incident has probably risen very slightly due to gung ho americans NUKE EM ALL attitudes and the rise of nuclear weapons tests by certain countries. But the amount that it has risen is still less than the chance of you being run over by the pope whilst hang gliding over everest on an elephant.:rolleyes:

So back to candidate questions.

1."Can we hold you personally responsible for every party manifesteo promise that is broken?"

2."Why not?"

3."Would you be willing to take a drop of 50% in your wages be banned from claiming expenses if it would guarantee 100% that you would be elected?"

On 5/19/2017 at 6:28 PM, observer said:

On the issue of one's house paying for elderly care (above £100,000); as I understand it; the care cost would be extracted from the individual's estate when they die, so they aren't losing anything - their dead (NO POCKETS IN SHROUDS ETC).  Those that will be affected are the relatives, circling for the inheritance, so in effect, the inheritance would be being paid for by the tax-payer without such a policy.    :ph34r:   

all well and good, but I heard an interesting piece on the radio the other day, the jist of which was this. You get to say 68 and end up in a situation that requires that you may need ongoing care in your own home which is usually provided by a couple of basically trained girls or lads earning minimum wages and you maybe get to see them for a couple of hours a day at most. You don't pay anything for the care at that point, however say 5 years down the line you die. You live in a half million pound house and so your estate ends up paying just shy of £400,000 for your care and leaving you with £100,000 (or at least your relatives)

Compare that with say being 68 and being relatively fit, healthy and alert. Then you get diagnosed with cancer. For the next 5 years you undergo massively expensive cancer treatments, rehabilitation, you have nurses, doctors, consultants, drugs and all the latest fancy dan machinery looking after you. Then, 5 years down the line you die. You live in a half million pound house and your estate ends up paying just shy of £000,000 for your care and leaving you with £500,000 (or at least your relatives)... how can that be fair?

Fair point Baz:  sure we could go on, some NHS Trusts are already rationing treatments and excluding smokers and obese folk, who may have paid into the system all their working lives. So, I suppose it's all about the money, or lack of it, at the end of the day.    :(   What is required imo; is the total separation of Health and Social Security from political control and micro-management, and it's guaranteed ring-fenced funding through National Insurance payments, rather than taxation.   :ph34r:

19 hours ago, Sha said:

As good an example of 'exclusionary detailing' as could be found in any political manifesto! 

:lol::lol:

I was being brief as I knew you would follow up and supply the finer details in a much better way than I ever could :P:lol: 

On 2017-5-19 at 4:12 PM, Sha said:

I wouldn't say that South Warrington is a 'safe seat'. 

The proposed mass housing developments on Appleton & Grappenhall green fields are currently the most important issue that has affected these areas in decades.  The fact the Tory government has made it easier for developers to encroach on the green belt and use increasingly more greenfield sites for housing will not be a vote catcher for David Mowatt. Add to that the fact he appears to be sitting on his *** and doing nothing to help the people he is paid to represent - starkly in comparison to Helen Jones N. Warrington who puts up a fight for green fields in her constituency.  But, on saying that......the other candidates seem also to be sitting on their ***** in relation to this.  So are any of these individuals worth voting for?  

I think that the decisions have been made on planning technical reasons. It certainly was in the case of Peel Hall - local people put forward strong technical arguments and a great deal of background research and analysis. They voiced these these at Parr Hall - something that was denied to the south through incompetence and lack of organisation! ?

In terms of the me planning laws local of otherwise Greenfield's ney the environment is under attack. Who ever you elect should speak out about it and turn up to fsve the planning chiefs not shy away.

Well, the Tories have done a U turn on their "dementia tax", in response to falling poll ratings.  Frankly, I'm amazed they even dared to get adventurous with manifesto commitments, when the whole point of this election was to rid Parliament of liberal Remainers and get on with Brexit - all the rest can wait for four years. 

The postal votes will start coming out today, and upto now we have had nothing through the letterbox saying who is standing (presume you are the same Geoff)

Lets assume I dont use the internet and dont see the local rag how would I know who was standing ?

I know Warrington South has and is being canvassed, is this because they are less confident in the result than Warrington North ?

21 minutes ago, reader said:

The postal votes will start coming out today, and upto now we have had nothing through the letterbox saying who is standing (presume you are the same Geoff)

Lets assume I dont use the internet and dont see the local rag how would I know who was standing ?

I know Warrington South has and is being canvassed, is this because they are less confident in the result than Warrington North ?

Apathy wins again then!

On 23/05/2017 at 2:11 AM, Davy51 said:

All this talk of building on greenbelt & a nuclear facility called EMMA  which may at some time get pmt along with her friend PAMELA  & i am surprised the Nimby party aren't fielding a candidate.

There are a lot of these micro issues which would be more appropriate for local election campaigning being dragged out, this is a General Election to decide who runs the UK during the difficult next few years, after all. 

3 hours ago, Gary said:

Apathy wins again then!

I received a 4 page colour from HJ before I went surfing for a week in Cornwall - well ok a tell a white lie when I say surfing I mean watching the surfers at a lovely beach near Newquay. The scales say that I had a good time and put on 4 pounds :huh: - you must send me your diet regime. Oh and on my return I got a little something from Teresa May :rolleyes: but nothing from anyone else.

I've met Faisal at the Picturesq painting and drawing exhibition when he had just put in for selection as the Labour candidate. He was extremely confident in being selected then and is still looking that way now that he is their choice. Just take a look at his new web site http://www.faisalrashid.com/ do any of the other candidates South or North come close to this?

BTW my grandson has just brought me my postal vote that he collected off postman pat, so I now know who all the 5 candidates are but not what they are all about - this is becoming a very low key election campaign. Stefan doesn't give his address like the others - he describes where he lives as (address in the Warrington North Constituency) - I wonder where he is holed up? :ph34r: may be he has said something confidential again. He did try to goad me in the past on Facebook one night - slept on it and removed the comment the next day - just as well I took a screen dump :D