Stoke on Trent City of Culture 2021 debate

Just catching up on Parliamentary TV this week and there is a debate on Stoke on Trent City of Culture 20221 led by their MP's.

I wonder how this has come about and if there will be one secured by Warrington's MPs?

If so how will they match Stokes, Pottery/Ceramic Legacy, Charles Darwin connection, Football and their heroes, green spaces, Robbie Williams, theatres, canals, oat cake etc?

Poo bags are not a cultural thing unique to Warrington and hanging them is a National disgrace done by lazy good for nothing people. :angry:

However as for lighting things up that cost me what I consider a lot of money to Live Wire - but it did highlight a beautifully a good cause so well worth the expense.:wub:

On 3/25/2017 at 10:21 AM, Geoffrey Settle said:

Just catching up on Parliamentary TV this week and there is a debate on Stoke on Trent City of Culture 20221 led by their MP's.

I wonder how this has come about and if there will be one secured by Warrington's MPs?

If so how will they match Stokes, Pottery/Ceramic Legacy, Charles Darwin connection, Football and their heroes, green spaces, Robbie Williams, theatres, canals, oat cake etc?

You've missed quite a lot out there from my home town Geoff. And oatcake is one word. :)

I'd prefer that we were known for other things than Robbie Williams too thanks. :P

1 hour ago, grey_man said:

:DYou've missed quite a lot out there from my home town Geoff. And oatcake is one word. :)

I'd prefer that we were known for other things than Robbie Williams too thanks. :P

That's the list that the Stoke-on-Trent MPs came up with during last week's debate - look like they need your help to prepare their City Bid :D - I'm sure that you can do a lot better - most MPs don't represent the place were they were born.

So no Wedgwood? Arnold Bennett? HG Wells? Reginald Mitchell? The world class city museum? The renovated Middleport Pottery that has won architectural awards and should have served as a blueprint for the Cabinet Works? Nothing about the area having one of the world's best theatres in-the-round in addition to several other theatres? The Etruria Industrial Museum? Ford Green Hall? Trentham Gardens? The Burslem School of Art? Stanley Matthews? Lemmy? Slash? The birthplace of Primitive Methodism? AN Wilson? Kendo Nagasaki? :wink: 

That's even before you include Newcastle-under-Lyme, which has its own attractions and famous people as well as Keele University which ranks in the top 4 percent of Universities worldwide. 

Much better than the so called wrestling of today.

Best of five rounds, two falls, two submissions or a knock-out to decide the winner. good eduction for those who had a grandmother like mine who thought every ref was either blind biased or both and said so in language that would make a glaswegian welder blush.

but back to whether warrington should have a public debate on their efforts at gaining city of culture status. Actually they already have and it was well advertised on the internal notice boards at the council recycling centre between ten and half past on a quiet sunday night. (the  caretaker saw it honest it was there) :D

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

Actually they already have and it was well advertised on the internal notice boards at the council recycling centre between ten and half past on a quiet sunday night. (the  caretaker saw it honest it was there) :D

I'm surprised they went for such a wide audience.... somewhat breaks with tradition:)