HS2

asperity

• 4 weeks later...

The way things are going, HS2 won't get past Birmingham. HS2 Ltd is haemorrhaging executives and questions continue to be raised by Parliamentary committees whether the money could be spent far more effectively. The answer, just to remove any doubt, is YES, as every single independent report proves. 

Why are people still obsessing about journey times. The problem HS2 is trying to solve is congestion on the West Cost Main Line south of Rugby as well as lack of capacity on the East Coast and Midland Main lines. The local issue at Culcheth is probably about freight capacity to Crewe and the Port Warrington proposals will make that problem worse but is supported by the council whilst HS2 isn't.

I can currently get to London from Warrington Bank Quay in 1 hour 50 minutes, that's fast enough for me. If I wanted to get there using HS2. I would have to drive to some massive car park in Lowton or whatever, leave my car there and I can't see the extra cost of a ticket being worth the extra 30 minutes in the capital.

• 1 month later...
On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, observer said:

Perhaps we should start re-thinking our travel requirements, we've got most of the plebs who work in London now commuting from as far as Bristol, cos they can't afford to live in the City; why not start moving the institutions out of London or have folk working from home ?

Looks like the BBC have been successful :) - I've just written a piece on the impact of HS2 on the impact on Nature Conservation.

• 3 months later...

But do we really need it, video conferencing and the like can do away with the need for time consuming travel. Build a new line by all means to take freight but there is no need for it to have the ability to take high speed trains.

Trains that can do 700mph so london to manchester in about forty minutes allowing for getting up to speed and then slowing down at the other end. (given the distance it would probably not get up to top speed before it needed to start slowing down again)

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Confused52 said:

No, HS2 is not about speed alone but about total capacity on HS2, WCML, ECML and Midland Main Line taken together.

That's only partly true because at certain points it will reduce capacity. It's also true that the capacity issues are mainly south of Milton Keynes so it would have been far wiser to do something less expensive and more intelligent alongside major investment in connectivity between different cities in the rest of the country. This was all argued in The Eddington Report, which was ignored once the rail industry realised the government was prepared to sign a blank cheque for a rail line that made it feel good. I'm willing to bet there's only a 50 50 chance HS2 will get to Phase 2. 

• 1 month later...

And now rail fares are likely to increase at 3% plus,once more outstripping inflation to provide ,it has been said, the £40 billion to rejuvenate & refurbish the existing rail network. Just a drop in the ocean compared to the cost  of  HS2  & could be paid for out of earmarked HS2 funds. Better to keep fares down & people using the railways rather than forcing commuters back onto our creaking roads.

• Upvote 1