Cake and eat it ?

observer

That is one of those phrases that has always given me a a bit of puzzlement. I mean if you have a cake and then eat it, technically you still have the cake (until nature takes it's course anyhow)

The problem with HMG is that they want everybodies share of the cake as well as their own and it wants a bigger cake, with sprinkles and icing and those little silver balls that break your teeth when you bite them plus ten candles more than other peoples cakes. (oops got a bit carried away there. :oops: :oops:  )

In other words it is the "what's in it for me " strategy.

Considering all the cyber crime that takes place & the myriad foreign spies that probably have front door keys to No 10 ,the safest way is probably to jot down your darkest thoughts on a piece of paper.

I used to use the same system when i was on the road. So as not to fall foul of the law i jotted my driving hours on the back of a fag packet which was great till i threw the wrong packet away one day. 

Given the scary nature of Bill's "earner "  topic, perhaps a return to pen and paper may be advisable; but such paperwork should be contained in a folder, that is carried in a brief case; and not left on a train seat.   As for "cake and eat it", I assume that to be the approach of any sensible person entering negotiations on a deal; of course never likely to come off, but worth a try.

..... and we've now only got 18 months to negotiate. Think 18 days should be enough - " Hello Mr Tusk:  no free movement, no more money from us and for every tariff you want to put on goods into the EU, we'll counter with tariffs - so no winners on that score.     . As for EU migrants in the UK, you can have the post-referendum ones back, and the pre- referendum ones on a tit for tat basis with British ex-pats ".   Sorted.

• Upvote 2

..... and we've now only got 18 months to negotiate. Think 18 days should be enough - " Hello Mr Tusk:  no free movement, no more money from us and for every tariff you want to put on goods into the EU, we'll counter with tariffs - so no winners on that score.     . As for EU migrants in the UK, you can have the post-referendum ones back, and the pre- referendum ones on a tit for tat basis with British ex-pats ".   Sorted.

Brilliant Obs

Your ignorance is breath taking, Have you heard of the WTO, without an agreement its the WTO tariffs, the WTO is there to stop tariff wars, tariffs are agreed years ago, its 15% on cars made in the UK, you should look at some of the others, just about everything has one. The EU and the UK will not have a choice.Thats why we need to stay in the single market. please learn about the WTO!!!

Precisely the point I've been making all along Paul, trade is a two edged sword. If they want a tariff war - bring it on; and hope they perform like they did in 1940 !

Again breathtaking is your ignorance of world trade!!!!

You cannot have a trade war, it will just go to WTO tariffs 

Obs, do some home work, would you build a factory in the UK, if most of your customer base was in the EU, because if you built it in the EU, it would be cheaper, why do you think the government bribed Nissan, the tariff on cars is 15%, you name it, it will probably have a tariff.So imported goods that we buy go up in price, and goods we export go up in price, you may decide not to buy a BMW, as they are imported, but that leaves you very little choice in cars to buy, and as 75% of the cars Nissan mske go to the EU, even you can see the problem. It's bad for us, we pay more for our Tv's ect.

Odd I don't remember Brexit saying that either, either they had not got a clue about WTO like your good self, or they deliberately didn't, which makes it economical with the truth does it not Obs?

The WTO is the default position, it affects both sides if no agreement is made; so it's in the interests of German car workers and French farmers not to rock the boat. So it's a Mexican stand off.  We could of course try smuggling our goods into the EU with the African migrants, as the EU have proved incapable of preventing their illegal entry !  :lol:

Who would loose more, it is not in the EU interest to give us a good deal, France and Germany want our banking for their countries, and if go slow on cars ect, our car industry will move to the EU anyway, giving they more jobs, you are all looking short term, if there is no deal on cars, Nissan will move. And as stated most things have a tariff

Not being racist but what needs tackling in Britain is the influx of immigrants who are attracted by the job offers from British business at wage busting rates & also by the generous benefit system that is already at breaking point.Ultimately though these immigrants will come to use the benefits system & make it creak even more.We need to cater for our own people first though by getting them back into work before others are invited in to take their jobs.

• Upvote 1

It's a no brainer to assume that the EU will try to give us a hard time, as they need to set an example to stop the rest of the EU from disintegrating. But for every tit they throw at us, we can throw them a tat; so if it's hard ball they want, bring it on. If they want to cut their noses to spite their face, so be it.