Yummy's chips.

pommie lass

Does anyone remember Yummy's chip shop?  I can't remember the exact location but we used to walk there for our lunch when we were at Warrington Tech in the 60's.  As I remember, it was on a corner and somewhere near Friars Gate I think.  Definitely within a few minutes walk of the Tech though.  They used to refry the chips and they were rather greasy but really yummy.  Not too healthy though I suppose.  I think the proprietor was a fat lady.  It used to get packed at lunch time. People queuing up. 

Can't say i remember a chip shop in the area but then again i was just a nipper in the sixties and confined to my local area apart from Saturdays when if i was lucky i was allowed out to the cinema for the saturday morning matinee, if i was unlucky it was shopping with gran at the market. Guess who had to carry the bags back, usually full of spuds and other assorted veg for sunday lunch (cooked for a family of about fifteen including aunts, uncles and various aged cousins).

Chips cooked in fat and not oil were greasy but somehow more enjoyable a swell as tastier, especially when you got to the last clump that was soaked in vinegar and really soggy.

No doubt somebody will know of it. Maybe Harry Hayes will spot this and let us all know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a summer holiday job at Boots in 73 or 74. I used to go to this chippy. I remember the pot plant and a Barrs Strike Cola sign in the window. I don't think there was a name sign outside although it was painted green. It was run by an elderly couple and I can confirm that the chips were delicious. Their opening hours were a little erratic though. I think it closed in the mid to late 70's. I remember for a few years it just looked as if someone had locked the door on the way out and never returned. The pot plant was still there and the coke sign. The front of the place was ripped out by someone. That's what they call progress.

I used to also go in the shop that was on the corner. They sold all sorts of things as well as sandwiches. The proprietor was Polish I think and walked with a limp, possibly had lost a leg in the war. The cheese salad barm cakes were superb. I think they made the sandwiches upstairs to order and I always felt guilty because he struggled with the stairs due to his leg.

• Upvote 1

Hi Mayhem. It was the 60's when I used to go to Yummy's and they didn't seem all that elderly then.  Was the woman fat?   It's amazing how you remember all those details. All I remember is the chips. You could see them all piled up and pre-cooked and they would chuck them in the fat and fry them again.  Lovely and greasy, yummy in fact. 

Hi Mayhem. It was the 60's when I used to go to Yummy's and they didn't seem all that elderly then.  Was the woman fat?   It's amazing how you remember all those details. All I remember is the chips. You could see them all piled up and pre-cooked and they would chuck them in the fat and fry them again.  Lovely and greasy, yummy in fact. 

and to think these days you pay a premium in some swanky restaurants for "twice cooked chips"

Hi Pommie Lass,

I just remember them as being elderly. However I was a mere lad of about 17 at the time so anyone over their mid 40's would have qualified as elderly to me. If she was fat I can certainly understand why. All those double fried (in lard) chips would have been too tempting. I know it's probably nonsense but I'm sure chips tasted better out of newspaper.

• 1 year later...

The chip shop in Cairo st was owned by an elderly couple called Evans.  She was known locally as 'bloody Evans' because everything was too much trouble when requested, similar to Basil Fawlty style.

My friend Ron remembered them well, as he had a shoe repair shop across the road, a haven for the weary coppers on the beat.

As a boy I remember well it's green facade and plant pot in the window, looking like the shop that time forgot....

Cairo street was a great street for looking back in time, until the recent modernisation that killed its history.

mimocuja