Devolution deal - what do you think?

Gary

I confess that I'm no expert on this, but my immediate reaction is to stay with Cheshire. Liverpool will, quite rightly, look after it's own self-interest ahead of what it considers to be "wools" regardless of the political leanings of the mayor (some red herring that). Just my opinion as a Warringtonian of 28 years.

• Upvote 2

It's all back of an envelope stuff, from a Gov that doesn't want or understand the requirement for "devolution". All we're getting is a return to glorified Met and Rural County Councils which, imo are too small to be described as strategic and merely encumber the current tier of Unitary Councils. What is required imo, is Regional Government in England to give the likes of the N/West parity with Scotland and Wales; giving powers and a voice to the forgotten north of the Watford Gap.

Bit of a no brainer that one asp. Since when has the council ever taken notice of a consultation except when it goes wit what they wanted in the first place.

Even if they did consult us given the arguing that is still going on about the referendum vote do you honestly think they will go with the majority if it goes against them.

If the best argument they can come  up with is that they don't want an elected mayor then maybe it is time we had a vote of no confidence in the councillors. For me it does not matter who is mayor of warrington or what political party they may belong to. As long as the person is capable of representing the town that is all that matters regardless of of anything else.

if we do throw in with liverpool who already have an elected mayor does that mean we will not need a mayor at all, something that could happen and would be a great saving to the people of warrington as we would not have to fork out for a car or any official functions etc. associated with the mayor,

as somebody said the mayoral thing is probably a bit of a red herring to give us peasants something complain about. (brown envelopes may well be involved here, nudge nudge wink wnk say no more squire eh eh)

All that's happening is the expensive illusion of "devolution", creating yet another petty  burocracy  for the Plebs to pay for.  Think there's a quote from a Seutonius, a Roman Centurion, which covers this phenomenon?  

I believe the quote goes some thing like... "what a load of tosh and nonsense" :)

But we still keep hearing these anti Brexit mutterings from numerous "knowledgeable" talking heads decrying the democratic voice of the electorate.

These voices are like the whisperers that blamed the jews for the state of 30s Germany & gave credence to the cancerous persecution that followed.

• Upvote 2

The big issue that keeps being raised by the Remoaners, is the single market; and the way the EU has tied entry to free movement. BUT: the EU exports more to the UK; and I doubt tariffs will please the German carworkers or the French farmers; tariffs are a two way street. So we can put that one to bed and concentrate on eliminating all "free movement" of labour. This will no doubt make the E/Europeans unhappy, as they are happy to send their migrants here as cheap labour, but apparently are not prepared to accept migrants into their countries from the M/East.