Kids or career ?

observer

The idea of women working  came about in the first world war when the men were away fighting & there was still work to be done at home , but in the intervening years women working has become a lifestyle choice of today. However, with 30 hours of free childcare soon to become available, women working will be even more lucrative for the wellbeing of families.

Call me a male chauvinist pig if you like though, but i still think  many of our male lifestyle benefit claimants should be put into work first to help to reduce the country's welfare  bill. On the other hand ,if women can do men's  jobs they should be paid equally.

OOPS

On the other hand ,if women can do men's  jobs they should be paid equally.

Requests tin hat be dusted off and handed to davy  for later.

There is no such thing as men's jobs, just as there is no such thing as women's jobs. These days jobs are jobs regardless of gender

• Upvote 2

Diz, it was all over TV news the other day; that "Mums" lose out in the workplace, both financially and in terms of career progression. Which, isn't surprising, if long periods of absence or part time requirements are considered. It appears some women want the cake and eat it.

OOPS

Requests tin hat be dusted off and handed to davy  for later.

There is no such thing as men's jobs, just as there is no such thing as women's jobs. These days jobs are jobs regardless of gender

I would disagree... I would say that there ARE mens jobs that some women want to do just as there are womens jobs that some men want to do and in this day and age that is now possible.

You still get women only gyms, driving instructors, taxis, but you try doing something for men only and you get a queue of soft shoe wearing women outside demanding equality :)

Gender equality means just that; if they fail to meet the required physical or mental standards tough; but don't lower the standards to support ideas of gender proportionality.  Perhaps all sports could do this, wonder how many female medal winners there would be ?

Despite times moving on & many of the jobs being less labour intensive than in the past i don't think many men or women would really be comfortable with women in coal mines & steel mills of the past....there is a difference nowadays because many of the jobs in those industries are performed by a machine with a human operating it. It is possibly this automation that has made many jobs multisex ,(so as not to leave anyone out.)

I still don't like the idea of women as front line troops though.

Just wonder what the attraction is for women seeking "macho" jobs, is it the money or are they just out to prove something ? Having said that, they flew planes, drove tanks, were excellent snipers and led the platoon that planted the red flag on the Reichstag in WW2.

Diz, it was all over TV news the other day; that "Mums" lose out in the workplace, both financially and in terms of career progression. Which, isn't surprising, if long periods of absence or part time requirements are considered. It appears some women want the cake and eat it.

I didn't see any of the TV news about it Obs as I've been working longer and later hours this week in my new job, hence my complete ignorance re your topic meaning.

Personally I have never found it a problem to be a girlie or a mum (back in my 'mummy' days) in my workplace or since then and have never been treated any different than men either or paid differently.

Saying that I guess it depends on who you work for and the type of job you are doing.

As for women possibly not being good enough or able to do a 'mans' job...... ha ha as if.

Everyone knows us women are far better at multi-tasking, remain calmer in stressful situations and have more logic and brain cells too :wink:

(PS I don't need the hard hat by the way..I like to like dangerously and to take risks :lol: )

Dizzy, I'm afraid that, in this day and age, it isn't up to the individual whether or not they want to live dangerously and to take risks. If the Elf and Safety say you have to wear full PPE then that is what you have to do, personal choice doesn't come into it. I can see the day coming when we all have to wear safety helmets, safety boots, hi-vis jackets and inflateable lifejackets (in case of sudden sea level rise or heavy rain) before leaving the house in the morning. Enjoy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone knows us women are far better at multi-tasking

Can't argue there dizz. Seen many a woman driving down the road, applying make-up and texting at the same time.

As for the tin hat, just had a note from the elf and safety gang saying that we may be in breach of regs using it. apparently despite the fact that it could stop bomb shrapnel and the odd bullet or ballistic brick it no longer passes current safety standards for head safety. Shame really as i have just finished applying a new coat of paint to cover up the rust spots.