Vitimin D ?

observer

Ironically, it's the reason why people living in higher latitudes developed white skin, thus making it easier to absorb rarer sunlight;  the extra melanin in darker skinned folk requires even more sunlight to absorb vitamin D.  But again, we have contradictory advice from the medicos; not many years back they were warning against the risks of skin cancer through sun exposure - so I guess we can't win.

we have contradictory advice from the medicos; not many years back they were warning against the risks of skin cancer through sun exposure - so I guess we can't win.

There's nothing contradictory about it, ecessive exposure to direct sunlight increases the risk of skin cancer: it did then and it does now.

If you're a stay indoors type who, for example, gets most of their life experience from engaging in some kind of screen based entertainment, then you might consider taking a vitamin D supplement.

That's it really.

Still, experts eh?

Then you could put a time on sun exposure then Fugs; not too long = skin cancer, and not to short = rickets !

A lot depends on you personally. Different people need different exposure times (bit like photography i suppose). Darker skinned people need a longer exposure time than lighter skinned people. It also depends on how much exposure you get. the more skin exposed the less exposure time needed.(ask any streaker about this)

If you were dragged up in the fifties and sixties then you probably ate a lot of animal fats (lard being the favourite for frying) which surprisingly contains quite a fair share of vitamin d3.(the best d vitamin to have apparently) also offal and oily fish have a fair amount as well, so our grandparents may have inadvertently been eating all the right stuff in that regards.

Still as always it depends on which experts you choose to believe. experts eh, if you don't agree with what they say then just wait five minutes until one that you do agree with comes along. :mrgreen:

so you went on holiday, congratulations,  one week a year isolated on a cruise ship must give you such a wonderful insight into the world.  Did your cabin have a tv? I do hope so as I am sure you would need to be on suicide watch if you had no screen to ogle.  Tell me , had your ship come across drowning refugees would you have tried to stop the crew rescuing them as you would have felt less comfortable knowing they were on board?  May have put you off one of your 5 meals a day 8)

:lol:  That's just the Summer one, oh green eyed one ! :lol:     I was quite happy to keep all those third world waiters in employment, knowing with  an income, they wouldn't aspire to walk it to the UK; unlike the ecomomic  wannabees  in those flimsy boats.    :mrgreen:

Cruises are for the decrepit.  Far too dull unless you love bingo.

Not what my lad said after going on one last year PJ and having seen the photo's and itinerary and hearing about how much fun they had on board and on their on shore excursions,

and how lovely all the ships crew were too, I must admit we were very tempted too. Alas they don't allow dogs though.

Have you never been on a cruise or is it that you now just hate them cos Obs said he'd been on one recently? If he'd been camping or in a bed and breakfast in Wales would you say that's crap too just because he did it? :roll::lol:

Maybe you should both book to go somewhere together next year to give you time to overcome your obsession by battling it out face to face with him  8)

Anyway....time to go back to the start now as I have no idea what this topic started out being about...AGAIN !!

• Upvote 1