Car Tax -

observer

Put mine on DD...main driver car and Granada.... cheaper and it just comes out every 6 months... hard getting used to paying tax for a classic car though after owning the Corsairs for so long. Mind you another 3 years and the Granny will be free! :)

Yes you still get a reminder through the posts the month before it expires Obs but to be honest we nearly forgot to do one of ours as we usually leave it until the last minute and the little round tax disc used to serve as a reminder whenever we walked to the car :lol:

It's still so easy to do online though and like Baz said there are more ways of paying too now.  When I went online to renew mine at the end of March I got to set it up as a monthly direct debit and it took less than 5 mins to do so now I never have to worry about forgetting :D  

Oooh now there's a thought though....if my monthly direct debit didn't go out for some reason and I didn't notice (which is very likely as I never check my bank stuff anyway) I guess that would mean I'd be driving illegally and how would they tell me as they don't have my phone number just my address and we all know what royal mail are like at times. 

This has popped up on Teletext because of this:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/apr/11/tax-disc-loophole-drivers-massive-fines-clamping-towed-dvla

The problems are around when transfers of ownership happen.

Of course, there will be those of us who know the ins and outs and the whats and the whens, 'cos it was all on the gov.uk website, and they'll be fine.

Then there's the rest of us....

One reason i left my tax disc in the car and on the bike. serves as a reminder even though it is a year out of date.

The last tax disks to be issued are said to be worth a few bob as they were printed on un-perforated paper as they had run out of the perforated stuff.

It depends what you class as a scam.... car tax payment has always been geared in favour of the government because even prior to all this, if you bought a car that wasn't taxed on the 29th of say June and went to the post office to tax it for 6 months, they always backdated the tax to the 1st of June so you lost that month anyway so the government got a months tax for free

The difference now is that if a car is sold on the 29th of June, and is currently taxed for 6 months including June, the seller only gets 5 months tax back and the new buyer has to pay 6 months tax and only in effect gets 5 months use... therefore the government get 2 months tax for free; gaining an extra months payment.

A few years ago, when I still had a car (obviously!) I had a SORN while I was away at sea, with the car safely off the road in my garage. I came home in mid January and went to the Post Office to pay for the car tax. They told me I couldn't tax the car until the beginning of February because I was "tring to back pay the tax to the beginning of January". Well I would have thought that was painfully obvious to be honest. They told me to contact the DVLA which I did and they told me the same thing. It was like talking to a brick wall :lol: :lol: :lol: . Eventually I managed to get across to the DVLA that I was in fact trying to give them money for 2 weeks when my car hadn't actually been on the road so they said I should tell the Post Office they had said it was alright ( :roll: :roll: :roll: ). I went back to the Post Office and said that the DVLA had okayed it and they gave me the tax disc. You couldn't make it up :lol: :lol: :lol: .