Greenals Barrel tap attachment from Daresbury

GL 2484

Sorry, I have tried everything to get the image on but the size is still too big. Anyway the description is ' Greenhalls &Co. Wilderspool 1872 ' around the circumference of the hole where the Tap would have fitted into the Barrel. Technology, don't you just love it !   :-0))))

I have tried in Photoshop Sid but I cannot get the image size below 98k. The limit says 47k and I cannot get that low. Funny but the other images I posted were bigger than 47k but posted ok. I do not have a photobucket. I have tried GIF, TIF ETC but no luck .

Nice :D

You'd be better using photobucket and uploading your pics to there then posting the direct link to each one.  It's free to create an account and I've used it for years and no restrictions on file size then when you post it via the link on here.

The way you are doing it at the moment you only have limited upload storage space on the forum (each member has a small limit and like you've noticed file sizes are restricted to a silly small size too) so you will very quickly exceed your limit and get to a point where you have to delete some of your others to post a new pic. :wink:

Well so far all i have found out is that barrels are not technically barrels but casks and the bung hole is put into one of the staves with an auger. how they then screw the barrel tap in is so far unknown to me but i do now know how they make casks (well not in great detail) will keep looking though as it has now got me hooked as i hate not knowing something like that and it will niggle at me until i either find out or throw the pc out the window in frustration.

It seems CASKS (not barrels if they are for wine or beer) have two holes. one in a stave at the bulge and one in the end. the bulge one is for filling and the one in the end is for the tap to be inserted although when i have seen whiskey beeing made they use the one in the bulge for both filling and emptying.

I assume the reason for the tap connector was to enable the cask to be connected to a beer pump and also so that the cask could be reused without having to replace the end of teh casks, a kind of protector for the wood. but that is mere speculation on my part. will have to go and have a few beers to investigate this further, all in teh name of research of course. :roll: