Traffic chocker today -

observer

... was the M/Way closed or something today?  Took me 40mins to get into Town, traffic queues everywhere. Or is this what we can expect from now on?

Crash on the M6 involving 6 cars and a couple of vans this morning.... motorway shut for hours and backed up to at least Junction 25 at one point.

Of course everyone tries to avoid the queues and just create more queues everywhere else. 

God help us if this happens when we have toll bridges in Halton.... the town will be gridlocked for days and our totally inept local councillors are just shoving their heads in the sand and hoping it will never happen!

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/19077/1/Motorway-closed-after-10-vehicle-crash/Page1.html

I hope everyone who was involved is OK :(

Is it just me or does there seem to have been an awful lot of accidents on the Motorways around here lately.  Hardly a week goes by without at least one happening and being reported on the local news and radio.

Crash on the M6 involving 6 cars and a couple of vans this morning.... motorway shut for hours and backed up to at least Junction 25 at one point.

Of course everyone tries to avoid the queues and just create more queues everywhere else. 

God help us if this happens when we have toll bridges in Halton.... the town will be gridlocked for days and our totally inept local councillors are just shoving their heads in the sand and hoping it will never happen!

Do you want us to sabotage the bridge?

Hi Steve

Perhaps you'd like to tell us what the council is doing to address the current gridlock, never mind what will happen once the next wave of traffic is diverted across town by the toll bridge. Press releases, conversations, memoranda of understanding, statements and letters don't count as action so restrict your answer to things like encouraging more people to use public transport and local shops and facilities, restricting the number of out of town developments, hastening the flow of traffic and that kind of stuff.    

I'll give you the usual amount of time for an answer, ie I won't be holding my breath. 

Do you want us to sabotage the bridge?

A wonderfully concise answer as usual Steve

I take it you aren't too bothered then about the impact that these tolls will have on traffic flow in Warrington.... the town is gridlocked as it is and when the toll bridges come on stream it will be even more so, plus if you add in an episode similar to what happened last week, then heaven knows what it will be like.

The town has a labour MP, but I don't see her shouting for the bridges to be toll free and to be honest I don't hear an awful lot of talk from the Town Hall either when it comes to this most important of issues

I can always hope that something will happen I guess; a bit like you lot seem to be doing

• Upvote 2

Well back to school for some today. our first pick up just over the bridge at latchford and guess what, yep a boat heading for manchester. usual result ensued. :roll:

That will be the same one that made our son late for work then... bad combination school run times and boats and always have been although I suppose if you had both used the new swing bridge alert system you would have known and could have set off 20 minutes earlier :wink:

When I were a lad (many years ago) I lived in Wallasey and went to school in Birkenhead. This meant a bus trip across Birkenhead docks at a time when there was plenty of shipping. Many times the bus was delayed by the bridge being up but I was never late for school. Perhaps people should leave home with time to spare in case of delays?

• Upvote 3

The traffic congestion should be an all party issue in Warrington & not an opportunity for political points scoring. All political parties & MPs should be banding together to lobby all parties in Westminster over the traffic problem now & in the future.

What, like David Mowat said about the funds recently secured toward various local improvements schemes, and a new bridge across the Mersey from Chester Road avoiding Bridge Foot? "I would like to congratulate the councillors and officers who worked with me to lobby for this money which I hope will help our town continue to grow and prosper."  I'm still trying to get my head round who's fixing the Mersey Gateway tolls - the government is underwriting any shortfall from tolls toward Halton BC's share of the costs but not sure whether Halton still gets to decide the toll prices.

although I suppose if you had both used the new swing bridge alert system you would have known and could have set off 20 minutes earlier :wink:

Unfortunately because of the medical needs of some of the children we pick up we have to pick them up at certain times. Getting their early would not have made a difference we would have to wait until they had their medication etc. The way we travelled to latchford does not have an early warning sign strangely enough. As for text messages or social media you are not allowed to use a mobile whilst driving. Also I am only the passenger assistant and have to rely on the driver to sort out the route and pick up times which can be pretty confusing and hectic the first day back if you have all new passengers. Fortunately, or not as the case may be, all our pick ups are on the far side of the canal which means we have to cross the canal to get to them and then cross back over to get them to school for nine. I personally get picked up at twenty to eight and the first passenger at about eight.

Not a bad job though, just a matter of keeping your eyes on four people at once for any problems on the trip.

a new bridge across the Mersey from Chester Road avoiding Bridge Foot? 

which drops straight onto Parker Street.... a road which is usually clogged at the best of times.... why not take it round the back of Crosfields and bring it out onto the big Island? You may even get to Compulsory Purchase that bloody Pink Eyesore and do the town two favours in one!

• Upvote 1

I though there was a plan at one time to bring access out via the back of Crosfields and to where the Pink Eye (Sankey Green) Island is.  It was most certainly earmarked for something and I'm sure it was to do with that but for  the life of me I have no idea where I read/heard about or who once told me it but it's there embedded in my mind and is not a recent memory. 

Isn't that one of the reasons why the land on the corner leading from the island to Thewlis Street/Old Liverpool road has never been built?

Is that why any form of planning permission submitted was always refused for the big old Mill building that was once part of the Pink Eye building too etc?  Didn't that part of it burn down in the end? 

And what ever happened to the plans to divert the Mersey bend at that point as it bends through Crosfields to shorten it a bit to free us some 'through' land...............

Is there any way of checking on the past refusals on land/buildings around there now with so many of the old planning applications having been accidentally destroyed, it will frustrate me now until I remember where I read or who told me !!

Did I need to put the word 'allegedly' in there somewhere by the way, I don't think I did :wink::lol:

I though there was a plan at one time to bring access out via the back of Crosfields and to where the Pink Eye (Sankey Green) Island is.  It was most certainly earmarked for something and I'm sure it was to do with that but for  the life of me I have no idea where I read/heard about or who once told me it but it's there embedded in my mind and is not a recent memory.

Funny you should mention that diz. I suggest you check out the G************n's website. :wink:

How spooky is that :shock:   It was a long time ago that someone told me about the land round there and the old mill which always had planning refused no matter what was submitted etc etc though.

I noticed they said it would all enable them to 'unlock prime development land' at Arpley Meadows and mentions 1000 new houses there.  More houses = even more cars though on the local roads though.