Gas Works that was on Gas Street/Academy Street

kez

Any one know anything about this?  it was surrounded by Gas Street/ Academy Street and Holt Street.

I am very interested in Holt Street as this was very close to Quaker Meeting House.  Any info on the surrounding houses as well would be great. 

I don't know a lot about the house around there but the Gas Plant works must have been there a long time as it's shown on the Hall’s map of Warrington from 1826.  The 'Friends Meeting House' and Methodist Chapel' are also shown on the map.

The 1893 map shows that gas plant was substantially extended and it now covered all the former fields too.  New streets such as Gas Street, Rose and Crown Street, Academy Street had also been created.

Gas works and some of the houses can be seen on the right..... date 1926

click to enlarge

copyright terms of for their images say the direct link must be shown and "You may: copy, print, display, and store for your personal use at home and you may copy to a blog or personal web page as long as the page is freely available with no login restrictions and no charges"

Gasworksbritainfromabove1926.jpg

I'm not sure but if this is the same Warrington Gas Works which I'm guessing it might be then it was demolished in 1937. 

If forum member INDY happens to be reading he will know as it's a video he's produced for his Tvpresenter4history youtube channel :D  

• 4 weeks later...

The gas works in Mersey Street consisted of extensive premises containing two gas holders, each of a capacity to receive 20,000 cubic feet and the town was first lighted by gas in March1821.

The first meeting of subscribers to the Warrington Gas Light and Coke Company took place at the Nag's Head Pub, Sankey Street, Warrington on the 14th December 1820 at which a 'Deed of Partnership' and 'Articles of Agreement' were drawn up. In 1821 Barlow Brothers completed the building of the first Warrington public gas works at Longford, Warrington.
In 1822 a Bill was promoted in Parliament intended to raise further capital for the company, limit the liability of the subscribers and extend the scope of the company to include the parishes of Latchford and Appleton. The Bill became an AoP on 15 May 1822. A further AoP was passed in 1847 allowing the company to raise more capital and extend its scope to the parishes of Grappenhall, Winwick, Great Sankey and Burton Wood. By 1870 the Longford site had been extended and remodeled to include an additional retort house and four telescope gasholders.

• 3 weeks later...

Dizz I can't believe this, because I couldn't  display photos from my PB account I closed it and opened a new one, hopefully it will now be ok. I have uploaded the gasholder photo which appears to be ok on here so will you let me know if it has worked please.

1877AnewgasholderbeinbuiltattheMerseyStr

• Upvote 1

Great photo Algy and yes I can see the latest one you uploaded.  Are those houses or business premises behind it.  Bet they weren't too impressed when that started going up.

PS you will be seeing exactly the same as I see when you are on here :wink: