More EU meddling.....

Bazj

Well the industry needs to simply ignore  the EU. There's all sorts of euro bum fluff that comes out of Brussels and I'm sure a lot of our partners across the Channel simply carry on regardless. The problem is our civil service seem to always comply and even gold plate the directives.

Does the EU not realise that people will simply source chromed parts from overseas? And that the new suppliers will probably be in countries which do not protect the employees in their metal working industries from the hazards of working with potentially hazardous materials?

This is exactly what has happened since the EU virtually forced the recycling of computers and electronics overseas by making it impossible for more local recyclers to comply with their over the top environmental and safety directives (many of which actually contradict eachother).

So that's more jobs shipped over to India and China then, and even more dead and chronically sick Chinese and Indians the EU is directly responsibly for.

Or does the EU not even care?

More information Baz, as your link was a little slanted :wink:

Slanted in what way? Slanted towards the truth perhaps, that the EU is once again meddling where they are not wanted, putting more people out of work in this country and forcing (as inky says) industries overseas???

Oh of course; this is your favourite part of the EU master plan isn't it? The bit where all the jobs go away to other countries to make things fair for the poor eastern European economies and the third world, unregulated economies and to "level the playing field" as you put it

How silly of me to forget!

• Upvote 2

Inky,

The directive also prohibits the sale of the parts in the EU,

What is wrong with prohibiting a known caracinogen, when it can be replaced by something that isn't ?

Chrome 6 will be replaced by Chrome 3 what's the problem?

Chrome 3 is crap, substandard, will not last etc etc etc..... Your bloody EU meddling again kije and of course you will be happy to see jobs lost to poorer EU countrys because that is what you believe is right.....

• Upvote 2

Carbon is a known carcinogen, what you going to do - ban pencils?

What exactly do YOU know about Chrome 6 vs Chrome 3? Just what the EU has spoonfed you I'd guess!

So to enforce this the EU is going to police every single ebay and internet purchase now is it?

How are they going to do that when they can't even secure their own borders?

And if I order something from China then it hasn't been sold in the EU anyway, has it?

We've got ample testimony that Chromium 3 is not an adequate replacement for Chromium 6 - backed up by the fact that the EU admits it does not have a key property that Chrome 6 does and has already had to grant a number of exceptions to it's own daft rule.

And you still seem to think that it's better all round to have a potentially hazardous process carried out in the third world by workers with absolutely no safety equipment or legal protections than to have it carried out in an advanced industrialised economy where workers would be using appropriate safety equipment and waste products would be disposed of correctly.

Out of sight, out of mind?

• Upvote 1

I know what I have read in the classic car press and from chatting to people who do know their stuff..... I have had items re-chromed in the past, it is a very skilled trade, it isn't something that is carried out in a tank in someone's garden unlike yourself, obviously, who just follows whatever your EU puppet masters feed to you.

Classic cars are extremely bad to the 4th Reich because they are something which don't conform to their over zealous emissions tests and safety tests and god knows what other tests they apply to cars these days....

Many things will cause cancer Kije, don't try and pass that one off.... why aren't your precious EU banning cigarettes? probably because it would upset too many people all at once and would finally wake people up to the fact that the 4th Reich is here and now!

Roll on the elections!

• Upvote 2

I don't get it either, its like when they banned asbestos and that stuff was dead cheap to produce. OK it killed people but it had its good points.   What price a human life against that of a bumper bar with the proper blue chrome finish.

Vanity versus welfare, not such a hard call.

But as the exemptions that the EU have had to grant shows, chroming many industrial parts is not a vanity issue it's about producing a product which actually functions as designed.

Chances are that rather than comply with all the red tape the EU will throw at them in return for their exemptions the companies which are doing it will simply avoid the issue by shifting their operations elsewhere or just sub-contracting the process out to where it's not even monitored.

Yes.... cheaper energy has to be a far more important priority than a few birds and frogs

Why do you say alarming? I happen to think that the future energy supplies of our country is more important than any wildlife or their environments

People would soon start to complain if the lights went out because a power station or fracking spot couldn't be built because of some rare species of frog or lesser greater spotted newt

sorry I see what a warm hearted animal lover you really are lol

I do but not at the expense of the bloke who chromed em

but unlike the asbestos industry, we have no proof that anyone has died from the process..... just proof that the EU want things their way at the expense of the nice chrome bumpers.