Finding Family - Hankinson

sylvia131

Thank you for adding me to the site. My name is Sharon Halcoop (Nee Hankinson) im looking for any information about them has im doing a family Tree.  We lived at 131 northway warrington in the 60s, I think a long time before that but i dont remember. I was born in 1962 but have 4 older brothers Paul,Stanley, Peter, David and 3 older sisters called Susan Sandra and Janet and 1 younger brother Barry. My fathers name was Stanley and mother was Sylvia Nee jones. A  couple of us spent time in foster care in Dallam i think it was called and then was sent to Liverpool in a childrens home for a while after my parents split up. I remember people called Woodward. Any help in information or photos would help me to put my childhood together, Thanks in advance :P

Don't now if they were related but we used to know a Christine Hankinson from the dallam area who had a brother Les and Mrs Sid seems to think she had a brother Paul but is not too sure about Paul.  We may have an old address for her and Les in Dallam but it may take some rooting out. I do have pictures of Christine somewhere if you are interested as she was a bridesmaid at my wedding. Sadly she passed away in the early eighties and Mrs Sid seems to think that Les may also have passed away some time back.

Any how welcome to the forum and good hunting for relatives etc.

Thank you for your reply. So far i have not managed to find a christine but ive not deleved into the children yet of my ancestors, My family seem to stick to the same 40 names lol, i can remember my dad going to the longford pub and we used to wait outside for crisp. My mother sylvia also at some point worked has a usherette but cant find out in which one the only one i remember is the odeon. There was a story that ruth elis worked with her the last woman to be hung, Would be fab to find out if this is actually factual. :P

It is a pity that my grandmother is not alive as she could give chapter and verse on all the residents within a five mile radius, who they were married to, who they were "knocking on with" etc.

As i said it seems a coincidence that the name Hankinson came up as last night i was remarking to Mrs Sid that i could not remember putting the picture of Christine on her photo frame, a bit spooky in a way, coming on here and finding somebody who was researching the name with a dallam connection as well.

If you do find there is a connection i would be happy to sort out the photo's i have and let you have a copy.

• Upvote 1

Hi Sharon and welcome to the forun :D

None of the names are familiar to me as I'm not from around that area and don't know anyone personally who is to ask either, sorry.

If it's not too much of a personal question, and please don't feel you have to answer if it is, but did you loose contact with your parents and your brothers and sisters ?

I have just checked on a 1952 street list for Northway to see if you parents were living there then as I thought about uploading a list of all the neighbours names from that time incase anyone recognised and knows them and could ask them.  Your parents aren't shown as living there then though.  Shame.

Evil Sid just mentioned a Les Hankinson (who may not be one of yours I realise) but just thought I'd mention too that I just searched for the name 'Hankinson' on a group page I belong to and have just seen a photo of a Leslie/Lesley? Hankinson on a school photo from Dallam Primary School dated 1961 (ish).  Quite a few people on the group page seem to have grown up around that area and some are older so maybe if you ask on there too they could possibly remember some of your Hankinson names too?

Are you on facebook ?  If not then I can ask them for you if you like and relay any info as it is a 'closed' member only group so you won't be able to view or ask if you're not on facebook or a member of the group page.

Hope you find what you are looking for soon :D

Sorry Sharon.... I forgot to say, and I hope you don't mind, but as admin on here I have just taken the rather rude liberty of adding the name 'Hankinson' to the title of your topic as that way anyone else looking at the forum board may have their eye drawn to a familiar name and click to read your read post etc.

Sorry Sharon.... I forgot to say, and I hope you don't mind, but as admin on here I have just taken the rather rude liberty of adding the name 'Hankinson' to the title of your topic as that way anyone else looking at the forum board may have their eye drawn to a familiar name and click to read your read post etc.

No problem with that, Dont normally do this so any help is fab, long story short my dad and mum split up the younger ones of us was sent to foster homes (in dallam i beleive) then to a childrens home in wavertree liverpool, it was run by the sisters of charity, mum moved to berkshire and some followed so lost contact with my dad and elder brothers. i am in touch via face book with there children but like me they dont remember much and no one seems ot have kept photos sadley, Not sure what year we lived in 131 northway but i know i was there from birth till 5 years old, sadley all grandparents have past and so have mine and only just got this urge to look,

It is a pity that my grandmother is not alive as she could give chapter and verse on all the residents within a five mile radius, who they were married to, who they were "knocking on with" etc.

As i said it seems a coincidence that the name Hankinson came up as last night i was remarking to Mrs Sid that i could not remember putting the picture of Christine on her photo frame, a bit spooky in a way, coming on here and finding somebody who was researching the name with a dallam connection as well.

If you do find there is a connection i would be happy to sort out the photo's i have and let you have a copy.

she would of known about my dad then lol

Hi Sharon and welcome to the forun :D

None of the names are familiar to me as I'm not from around that area and don't know anyone personally who is to ask either, sorry.

If it's not too much of a personal question, and please don't feel you have to answer if it is, but did you loose contact with your parents and your brothers and sisters ?

I have just checked on a 1952 street list for Northway to see if you parents were living there then as I thought about uploading a list of all the neighbours names from that time incase anyone recognised and knows them and could ask them.  Your parents aren't shown as living there then though.  Shame.

Evil Sid just mentioned a Les Hankinson (who may not be one of yours I realise) but just thought I'd mention too that I just searched for the name 'Hankinson' on a group page I belong to and have just seen a photo of a Leslie/Lesley? Hankinson on a school photo from Dallam Primary School dated 1961 (ish).  Quite a few people on the group page seem to have grown up around that area and some are older so maybe if you ask on there too they could possibly remember some of your Hankinson names too?

Are you on facebook ?  If not then I can ask them for you if you like and relay any info as it is a 'closed' member only group so you won't be able to view or ask if you're not on facebook or a member of the group page.

Hope you find what you are looking for soon :D

How do you check the street list. :P

Two ladies on the facebook group pages I mentioned have lindly uploaded scans of the directories for 1908 and 1952 for each 'street' page.  They aren't searchable by name though but if you have a particular street you want to look at that's easy. 

I've been doing my family tree for years so am sort of obsessed with anything like that. 

What is lovely about this forum and the Warrington FB group pages too is that people often mention their memories of a certain street or growing up in the areas etc  and to me that like an insight into how it would have been when I was little or when my parents/grandparents etc lived and grew up in their streets/areas too so very nice to read and imagine what it would all have been like.  I was born in '64 so similar age to you.

Agree with you totally, im spending far to many hours on this lol. dont suppose you have copies of them incase i do remember any names, only ones i can recall are the woodwards and a couple called something like flartley. Which  facebook page is it. Thanks Dizzy