CLARES BUILDINGS OFF BATTERSBY LANE any info please

keithb

Thanks Cleo, I know where you mean now.

Was it actually on Lythgoes Cleo as the 1911 census shows 114 Lythgoes, then 2 Battersby Lane, then Clares Buildings (no's 2 - 18) then James Street. 

I wondered if the houses might have had something to do with Clares Ship Yard (ok they were at Sankey Bridges) but on the 1911 census the occupants of Clares Buildings had various occupations and none to do with ship building. (I wont bore you with all the names, families and occupations for once :wink:

I only had a quick look and for some reason the maps site wont work for me tonight... over to you Algy :wink:  

Thanks Cleo, I know where you mean now.

Was it actually on Lythgoes Cleo as the 1911 census shows 114 Lythgoes, then 2 Battersby Lane, then Clares Buildings (no's 2 - 18) then James Street. 

I wondered if the houses might have had something to do with Clares Ship Yard (ok they were at Sankey Bridges) but on the 1911 census the occupants of Clares Buildings had various occupations and none to do with ship building. (I wont bore you with all the names, families and occupations for once :wink:

I only had a quick look and for some reason the maps site wont work for me tonight... over to you Algy :wink:

That's why I had not participated in this topic Dizz and I'm still not able to enter their site, I wonder if they have become wise to us and somehow blocked our IP numbers, if so were 'snookered'!.

:shock:  :shock: Me neither...oooh do you think they have Algy due to overuse ?

Edit..... I just tried from my mobile and it doesn't work on there either Algy (phew you got me worried for a minute ha ha)

Worse still they may have gone out of business!. :(

Come on Algy.. it's working again now.  Where the map showing me where No's  2 - 18  Clares Building(s) was.  Yer slacking and I'm not as good with maps as you are (or owt else today for that matter) :lol:  :wink:  

Thank goodness the map site is back again!

The first map shows where Clares Buildings are in relation to Lythgoes Lane and Battersby Lane. The second map shows where houses 2 to 18 are located, buildings are always numbered even numbers left side of the street or road starting low numbers from the town centre or in this instance the main road entering a cul-de-sac.

1896_zpsec46c5ea.jpg

1894_zpsd305cc55.jpg

I prefer to be called a girlie if you don't mind Algy/Keithb.  'Lady' makes me sound and feel old, too well behaved and rather boring   :lol:  :lol:

Thanks for the map :)  I was looking on the wrong side of the railway line not to mention too far up then too far to the left :oops:

If it's any help keithb in the late 1890's/early 1900's Lythgoes Lane looks to be joining Brick Street not Battersby Lane.

Clares Buildings still existed on the 1963 map (maybe later too).  I'm guessing that maybe they got knocked down when cockhedge and the island were built ? 

Still no idea who or what 'Clares' was though.

Damn! There was a nagging thought at the back of my mind that was where Clare's buildings were but I wasn't sure and now I have seen it on the map it all comes rushing to the fore of my mind. Soon after the marriage of my second oldest sister one of  those houses was put up for sale at the princely sum of 100 pounds.  My sister was excitedly interested in buying but the excitement dropped like a lead balloon after she went to view it with her new husband. They said it needed so much work doing on it to renovate it that it would have cost thousands of pounds extra.

I have actually been inside one of those houses. My brother-in-law's brother and his family lived there and I played with his children there.

For some reason Clare's Buildings are starting to bug me now. 

Cleo says they were a row of terrace houses so WHY would they have been called Clares BUILDINGS rather than say terrace? 

The only reason I can think of is that they all belonged to/were built by someone called CLARE who may have been a factory owner other business man... or something.  There were quite a few CLARE's living in the vicinity of Battersby and Lythgoes so I wonder if they were anything to do with them. 

Who is John Clare as I woke up in the night with that name in my head (why? no idea) but it does seem to ring a bell to me for some reason. 

Interesting to see that on the top map there are 2 Rope Walks....could they relate to rope making as the length needed to twist a worthwhile length of rope ?

Is it possible that Clare's Buildings were houses that were tied at sometime to a company that was located there before the railway came through ?

Interesting to see that on the top map there are 2 Rope Walks....could they relate to rope making as the length needed to twist a worthwhile length of rope ?

Is it possible that Clare's Buildings were houses that were tied at sometime to a company that was located there before the railway came through ?

That is exactly what they were used for Davy, a ropewalk was a narrow covered lane or shed that is a long straight and narrow or a covered pathway, where long strands of hemp were laid before being twisted into long ropes. In the days of sailing vessels Warrington provide not only sail cloth but ropes for the Royal Navy and merchant sailing ships. One of the major sail making areas in Warrington was the 'Shipyard' area to the east of Bridge Street and behind the Lion Hotel.

Who is John Clare as I woke up in the night with that name in my head (why? no idea) but it does seem to ring a bell to me for some reason. 

There must be thousands of John Clares but one such was an 18th century poet.

Send not to know for whom the bell tolls....

It tolls for thee.

(no, not a John Clare peom)

Are they anything to do with the Clare & Ridgeway company  ASBO Dizzy ?

Are you asking me if I already have and ASBO or suggesting I should be given one Davy :lol:

I mentioned maybe Clare's Ship Yard (your Clare & R) in post 5 on here.... thanks for the reminder as that's where I know John Clare's name from durh !