What Pub was this.

algy

1. Name the white pub on the left.

2. What street was the old Fire Station on.

3. What part of the old Market was close by.

4. What building was the tall chimney on.

5. There had been a school close by, what was it's name.

6. Open land to the right of the Fire Station was known by what name (denoted by it's use).

OldFireStation_zpsc305338f.jpg

Oooh I think you are right with Queen Street wireboy.  (I remembered it being something 'royal' and now you mention it that sounds more familiar.... )  I must have been thinking of King Edward potatos because of the field :lol:

Baz, I seem to remember that someone ask the same question some time back and unfortunately no positive result.

Ahhh.....I remember Heathside being mentioned a few times on here and how Baz, you and Harry discussed it too. 

It's a shame that no pictures of the school were ever found though.  Someone somewhere must have some though surely.  Maybe Gary should ask on the news pages :wink:

Near enough LL, it was the 'Crown' we used to nip out at lunch time when working week ends at Thames Board and sink a couple or three.

I don't think anyone will find where the chimney is, it's the chimney to the heating boilers at the baths.

I beg to differ but isn't the old baths building more to the right of this location ???

I would say that the chimney was more likely a part of the Cockhedge Mill factory :?:

You would have to do a 180 degree turn to face Cockhedge, that is definitely Warrington baths chimney, see below.

3853756640_48e9c4337b_z_zps536721b9.jpg

No. 4 .... Chimney?  Oooh I was looking at the square tall structure to the right of your original picture Algy behind the fire station thinking you meant that.

..... I am so bloody stupid at times :oops:

What was that then ?

No. 4 .... Chimney?  Oooh I was looking at the square tall structure to the right of your original picture Algy behind the fire station thinking you meant that.

..... I am so bloody stupid at times :oops:

What was that then ?

You said it young lady! :lol: , go back a post (from your last one) and you will see it's the chimney from the Bath's boiler house.

Yes I know that now and can see the chimney in the centre that you were actually on about 'sarky old man' :lol:

... so what's the square thing then or are you just ignoring me now :P

I must admit I'm not 100% certain, I would guess at a practice tower to allow firemen to rescue and put out fires in high buildings?. Later fire stations have taller structures for the same purpose.

You did say in an earlier reply that you thought it was a "Training Tower" and I think you are correct.

May also have been used as an A.R.P watch tower as well.

The writing on it looks like "(something) depends (what appears to be a clock) on civil defence". but that may just have been one of the usual war inspiration slogans to bolster the public spirit during the war.

Was once told the training towers may also used to dry out hoses after use.