Windows 7 or 8 ?

Dizzy

Oooh does it ?  When I type that reply  it looked really tiny and my cursor was lower than the text so I upped it so it looked the same size as all yours.... but clearly not from what you say.

I've left this post tiny...... does this one look normal size to you ?

EDIT.... I seem to have pressed both the X(2) buttons  and I think that's maybe what messed it up :oops:  Am I right size again now :? 

Yes Dizz, you are the right size now and so's your font!. :D:wink:

• 6 months later...

Are Mac book pro's now capable of passing your exams for you too.. blimey clever stuff  Lt. :lol::wink:

Latchy....Not for xmas for us but we've got one of each already (ie 7 & 8)

My friend just bought one though but it came with Windows 8.1

Did you Santa bring you one then :)

I had a little play the other day with a Chromebook. It looks just like a normal laptop but its been designed for those who don't need a computer and only need it for stuff like browsing the internet.

It doesn't have a conventional operating system and boots up in less than six seconds.

Pretty good actually and because there's no Microsoft licence, it costs less that £200.

Bill :)

Are Mac book pro's now capable of passing your exams for you too.. blimey clever stuff  Lt. :lol::wink:

Latchy....Not for xmas for us but we've got one of each already (ie 7 & 8)

My friend just bought one though but it came with Windows 8.1

Did you Santa bring you one then :)

I wish ....last computer Santa got me was a Commodore 64  :?

• Upvote 1

:lol: :lol: Guess you must have been a very naughty boy for many years then Latchy.

I think we used to have one of those or maybe I'm getting confused with the Sinclair ZX Spectrum.... or perhaps we had both, that will frustrate me now.

We had one of those BBC Micro computers too. 

Kids would laugh at the old games that we used to play compared to what's out now   :lol:

Windows 7 for me, heard some bad reports on 8, the best for me though is XP Pro, I recently bought a second hand Del Latitude D400 laptop/notebook with XP installed then increased the memory, I use it for back up it's a cracking little machine. I was amazed to find that they cost £1,400 new in 2003, I picked this one up for £30.

Was told that windows 8 was aimed at the touch screen tablet type computer. A lot of the ones advertised are these type with the optional detacheable keyboard. as such for a dedicated desktop it tends to lack "functionality". how true that is i do not know but have heard reports of people who have been offered the option of having windows 8 removed from any new desktop pc's in favour of windows 7.

:lol: :lol: Guess you must have been a very naughty boy for many years then Latchy.

I think we used to have one of those or maybe I'm getting confused with the Sinclair ZX Spectrum.... or perhaps we had both, that will frustrate me now.

We had one of those BBC Micro computers too. 

Kids would laugh at the old games that we used to play compared to what's out now   :lol:

C64 was King in the 80's it had sound  :P

Boulderdash,Jet Set Willy , Monty on the Run the list was endless .... Great Times  :P

Commodore-64-Computer-System.jpg

• Upvote 1

so did the zx spectrum and you could use any tape player to load games onto it. was a bit of a nuisance though when it got to the last bit of information and the tape player head would not read it s it was slightly out of alignment. Mind you i got quite good at aligning the tape heads on teh go so that it only took about five minutes and two attempts to load a game instead of half an hour and at least seven attempts. Was always annoying as well when the heads chewed the tape and you had to spend fifteen minutes or more carefully releasing the tape and then winding it back into the cassette with the aid of a biro.

Nowdays if it aint loaded in thirty seconds you have a slow connection.

so did the zx spectrum and you could use any tape player to load games onto it. was a bit of a nuisance though when it got to the last bit of information and the tape player head would not read it s it was slightly out of alignment. Mind you i got quite good at aligning the tape heads on teh go so that it only took about five minutes and two attempts to load a game instead of half an hour and at least seven attempts. Was always annoying as well when the heads chewed the tape and you had to spend fifteen minutes or more carefully releasing the tape and then winding it back into the cassette with the aid of a biro.

Nowdays if it aint loaded in thirty seconds you have a slow connection.

C64 Scrabble was 25mins to load and sometimes it just stopped loading and displayed a blue screen with the message "syntax error" arghhhhhhhhhh  :blink:

I still have examples of both and a couple of Atari 1Mb machines which were many times faster than all the competition at the time, but prone to poor motherboards. I have disc drive for the Commodores which speeds up the loading a lot and microdrives for the Spectrums (Spectra?) which were actually quite reliable. Still dig out the C64 occasionally for nostalgia.

one thing that amazed me about the little Dell D400 Dell_Latitude_D420-1_zps406db3c1.jpg is the weight and quality of it compared to the new machines, OK the screens today are much better quality but the keyboard is far better to use, feather touch and hardly needs any pressing.

• 2 years later...