Warrington's Glass Industry.

algy

Many of us have more than likely heard of Robinson's glass Works situated at Bank Quay, however in the 19th Century Warrington had one of the largest (by the standards of that time) glass manufacturing and crystal glass cutting and engraving industries in the country, below is a list of those participating in the glass manufacturing and processing industry in the the town.

Warrington’s 18th & 19th Century Glass Industry

A directory of Warrington from 1824 survives.  It contains relevant entries for the Maginnis, Molineaux, Robinson and Perrin families, but nothing of note for the Ellis, Percival or Webb families.

GLASS CUTTERS

England, William - Winwick Street

Johnson, Isaac Butter Market Street

Lindsey, Wm Union Street

Watson, Peter (and engraver) Winwick Street

Woods, William Church Street

GLASS MANUFACTURERS

Clare, Burdy & Co (Crown) Scotland Road

Robinson, John Sankey Street                                                           

Alderson, Perrin & Robinson (flint & watch), Mersey Street and Cock Edge

Cockhedge Glass Works

Scotland Road Warrington Lancashire

1805-1867

1805-1817 Jackson, Alderson & Co, Cockhedge Glass Works.

In 1805 Peter Jackson (Corn and Flour Merchant Warrington) went in to partnership with William Bryon (Glass Manufacture Liverpool) – John Alderson (Clerk and Bookkeeper) and Samuel Brettle (See Orford Lane Glassworks). In 1811 Samuel Brettle died and the other partners continued on the business. In 1816 Peter Jackson and William Byrom claim to have become dissatisfied with John Alderson’s conduct and the partnership was dissolved on the 1st of January 1817.

1817- 1820 Alderson, John & Co, Cockhedge Glass Works.

Joseph Perrin (2) at the age of 14 was employed as an apprentice by John Alderson Senior. When John Alderson Senior died in 1820; Joseph Perrin (2) became a joint manager of the firm. He was married to Ellen Alderson, daughter of John Alderson Senior. They had a number of children (see notes at bottom of page). Thomas Robinson married Mary Alderson daughter of John Alderson senior on the 27th of August 1818. It is interesting that the witnesses at the marriage ceremony were Joseph Perrin and Jno Alderson.

Bank Quay Co. (flint & bottle), Bank Quay

Glazebrook, T.K. (thomas Kirkland) & Co (flint) Orford Lane

1797-1802 Davies, Glazebrook and Co Orford Lane Glassworks

Thomas Kirkland Glazebrook (son of James Kirkland) Born June 4th 1780 in Leicestershire was the founder of the Orford Lane Glassworks. He was only 16 years old when the Orford Lane Glassworks opened on the 15th of February 1797. He was also an influential figure in the Lancashire Association of Flint Glass Manufactures. He was the Honorary Secretary for a number of years and he later became the front man for the British Flint Glass Manufactures industry. This organisation protected the right of the glass manufactures in trade negotiations with the government. On the 7th of august 1802 the five member partnership of Davies, Glazebrook and Co Orford Lane Glassworks was dissolved. The names and holdings of the partners are: John Davies (10% share holding - Accountant / Administrator), Thomas Kirkland Glazebrook (10% share holding in name of James Glazebrook), Samuel Brettel (30% share holding - Glass Cutter), Thomas England (30% share holding - Metal Mixer) and John Alderfon (20% share holding - Glass Blower).

Maginnis, Wm (cutter) Bridge Street

Unsworth & Bethell (cutter) St John Street,

The family had connections with a variety of other business ventures over the years. John Unsworth, Peter Stubs’ the file makers cousin, had a short-lived glass business in Warrington, from circa 1789 to 1805. He was primarily a glass engraver, supplying a wide variety of glass ware for domestic and business uses. He also sold plain glass and dealt in a variety of other goods.

Has anyone heard of the Prince of Wales' Warrington Service?

"One of the most spectacular monuments of the glassmaker’s art was the Warrington service, made for the Prince of Wales between 1806 and 1810. On 18 September 1806, the Prince attended a lavish dinner organized by the Liverpool Corporation. An ornate cut glass service was provided for the dinner by one of the local glass houses, Perrin Geddes and Company. Prince George was so taken with the elegant service that he asked the Mayor to " … order him a few dozen glasses of the same sort." The original order for twelve decanters, thirty-six coolers, six carafes or water jugs, six dozen claret glasses, and six dozen port glasses was placed with Perrin Geddes and Co. at the Bank Quay Glass Works in Warrington. It was later decided that this was too small a service for the Prince’s table and an additional order for twelve decanters, four dozen wines, four dozen claret glasses and three dozen goblets was placed. All the pieces were engraved with the Prince of Wales’ feathers .This royal gift, as one might imagine, was of the finest quality, and both the cutting and engraving of the glass are exquisite. This service is still mainly intact, and is held at Windsor Castle. An illustration of one of the decanters from this service can be seen at the V&A Images site.

The Prince of Wales’ Warrington service set a standard to which the more affluent aspired throughout the Regency."

I don't know a great deal about it but my paternal great grandfather, who fled from Wales because his father was insisiting that he followed him into the police force and he had no desire so to do, was a glassblower with a firm on Orford Lane. We had a beautiful pair of pink bowled, long stemmed glasses that he had made. There was hell to pay when they were broken by someone who wouldn't confess to the sin. (not me).

• 4 years later...

I am a descendant of the Perrins - Glass Manufacturers.  Does anyone know if one of these Perrins was a Mayor of Warrington? Suspect it might be the one who married into the Alderson Family. I would love to know a lot more about the Perrins -am  enjoying doing my Family History research on them. I have strong roots in Warrington - am also related to Henry Woods, Warrington Artist, whose sister Fanny married Luke Fildes - artist. Luke's house in London was recently bought my Robbie Williams. !!!!!!  You never know what you find when you start dabbling in the past.

On 6/20/2017 at 6:26 PM, Janice Stewart said:

I am a descendant of the Perrins - Glass Manufacturers.  Does anyone know if one of these Perrins was a Mayor of Warrington? Suspect it might be the one who married into the Alderson Family. I would love to know a lot more about the Perrins -am  enjoying doing my Family History research on them. I have strong roots in Warrington - am also related to Henry Woods, Warrington Artist, whose sister Fanny married Luke Fildes - artist. Luke's house in London was recently bought my Robbie Williams. !!!!!!  You never know what you find when you start dabbling in the past.

Welcome Janice - you have resurrected a very old post - hopefully someone can help you. It pre-dates my mayoral knowledge of Warrington which only goes back to the 1970s

Hi Janice and welcome to the forum.  I did see your post a few days ago and before replying I had a quick look to try and tie the Perrin names you mentioned to the Warrington Mayor we once had with the same surname hoping to find some info for you.  He was called Joseph Perrin and was Mayor from 1852 - 53.

In my usual fashion I then got totally sidetracked though.... I didn't find anything to tie the names on my first look but I didn't have much time so I will have another look over the weekend for you.

I have a photo I took a couple of years ago (somewhere on one of my camera cards) with his name engraved on one of the 'past mayors' plaques which hang in the foyer the Town Hall so he is a relation of yours you might like to see that photo.  I will try and find it for you and upload it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...